Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

default datum planes

herb

I have a user who, for some unknown reason, deleted the default datum planes before he created a tubular shaped part. Now I have a need for the datums that would have been there. Do any of you gurus know of a way to insert the "default" datum planes into the part.

I know how to do this in an assembly, but not a part.

P.S. The Pro/e Knowledge Base was of no help (as usual).

I believe you have to drag the insert before the very first feature and then click on the plane icon, and 3 planes will be created.

You could create a new part and then insert an external inheritance feature. Not sure how clean that will be.

go to insert->model datum-> offset planes and enter 0 for all 3 directions and you will get 3 default planes

I believe you should be able to add the 3 datums off the Default CSYS, and then drag them above the first feature.

Now I remember, Ehorton said something that made me remember: default CSYS.

You need a default csys.

Go to insert / model datum / default coordinate system. A csys will be created, then drag every feature to be after the csys (so that the csys will be the first feature). Then drag the insert to be between the csys and the first feature. Then if you click on the icon plane or go to insert / model datum / plane.... 3 planes will be created.

We had an instance where the assembly had a coordinate system and default planes but the parts themselvesdidn't have those features. This made the part features fail when the parts were opened individually. To insert the datum planes and coordinate system open the assembly and then the part you want to add the datum features to. Select the first feature and then right click>Edit Definition. Pause the feature and then Insert>Model Datum. This will create default datums without asking for references. To get the coordinate system in with specifying references, create it before the datum planes. You can then specify new reference for the part feature.

kd2007 said:
To get the coordinate system in with specifying references, create it before the datum planes. You can then specify new reference for the part feature.

This should have been:

To get the coordinate system in without specifying references, create it before the datum planes.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back