Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

decal placemnt issue

design-engine

Decal placement issues...

surfadcebounaries.jpg

Notice
the pink highlighted surface. I have 5 surface patches there and in
front. Is there not a way to get my decal to seat across all three
surface patches? There are work a-rounds in Maya and Alias for this and
I have not found one for Pro/E yet. This example I just placed the
decal several times and slid things to sorta fit. WF4.0 here....

surfadcebounaries02.jpg

This image shows the surface boundaries....

suggestions? I had good luck just matching up the same decal over surface boundaries
in the past. With this build of WF4.0 they forgot to add the lock
aspect ratio radio button.

And...

How can I get the outside color from the decal to go transparent?

Edited by: design-engine

My problem is getting the logo to match up across a separate surface geometry. See the letter 'H' in Honda. There is a separate surface patch and the geometry will not line up to swell.

Edited by: design-engine

If you use a 4 channel tif instead of jpg it will work. Then you can place your decal over several patches at the same time,so you dont have to add a decal for every patch.

Just make the fourth channel in you tif a "alpha channel" (so you can control what you want to show in you picture and not, like background transparency) . In other words, if you got a picture of your honda logo, then in photoshop you add a alphachannel where you color everything except the "honda logo" black. The result will be that the only thingshowing when you place your decal in pro/E is the honda logo, nothing else..,

( as you wanted "the outside will be transparent" )

To make it more simple, place your car so that you can see it from the side, add a decal on all the patches you want and add it as "planar".

hopefully your problem will be solved
smiley2.gif

BTW, thanks for the one week surfacing class in march!! Simply the best class i ever taken!!
smiley32.gif

Edited by: tobbo

Hi friends

Do you have any suggestions for normal textures ( not decals ) on a surfaces with many patches. Please take a look at the picture - i try to make the billiard covered with felt but the appearance ( and the texture) looks different in the different patches. It stretches different. I tried to create 4 new appearances with same texture, but different stretching for each patch, and maybe it will works, but i don't think that this is the right way.

question2.jpg

Greetings, Vasil Velchev

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back