Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

datum curve single rad range problem

nilmani

WF3, part in mm. I created 4 datum points on the front plane: (0,0), (30,0), (30,6), (0,6) -these point are at the corners of a rectangle. I then wanted to create a datum curve using "Thru Points" with connect type "Single Rad". I started to add points 1, 2, 3. At this stage it asks for a bend radius and I enter 2. It won't accept the value and insists that "Range is 4.1500 to 5.9999. Please re-enter:" My question is why it won't accept 2 mm and how do I change the range? I need to use 2 mm as the bend radius. How do I solve the problem? I would appreciate any help. Thanks,

It sounds like you may have other geometry in the file resulting in a large
model size and are using relative accuracy (?). You might try setting to a
finer accuracy.

(Can't say I've ever tried to create a closed curve thru pts with rads.
Is it possible to get rads on all the corners?)

I found that adjusting the accuracy gave different ranges that you can initially select but the system allowed me to change the radius later to a value that was outside the initial range. Try completing the feature with a radius value within the range given then edit the curve radius to 2.

No, there is absolutely nothing in the part file. I started a new part and created the four datum points and then insert datum curve through the points. It's an open curve from point 1 to 4 with bend radius 2 mm. btw: How do I set accuracy?

jeff4136 said:
It sounds like you may have other geometry in the file resulting in a large
model size and are using relative accuracy (?). You might try setting to a
finer accuracy.

I tried that but the problem is the distance between the two point sis 6 mm and the range that is allowed is 4.1 to 6 mm so even if I select the lowest value, it can't create the bend for the turn from this point to the next point.

kd2007 said:
I found that adjusting the accuracy gave different ranges that you can initially select but the system allowed me to change the radius later to a value that was outside the initial range. Try completing the feature with a radius value within the range given then edit the curve radius to 2.

How are you trying toedit the radius? I'm assuming you want the radius at the corners.

I haven't been able to duplicate the range you gave but I have been able to get different ranges by going under Edit>Setup>Accuracy. I ended up with a range of 1.4000 to 5.9999. I entered a value of 3 (for your values try entering 5) and completed the feature. I then selected the feature in the model tree, right mouse click>edit. The radius value shows up on the screen. Double mouse click the radius value and change it. You can't go greater than 5.9999 but you should be able to change the 4.1 value to 2.

Yes, it worked. I changer the accuracy and got the desired range. Also, later I could edit the curve and change the radius. Thanks a lot.

kd2007 said:
How are you trying toedit the radius? I'm assuming you want the radius at the corners.

I haven't been able to duplicate the range you gave but I have been able to get different ranges by going under Edit>Setup>Accuracy. I ended up with a range of 1.4000 to 5.9999. I entered a value of 3 (for your values try entering 5) and completed the feature. I then selected the feature in the model tree, right mouse click>edit. The radius value shows up on the screen. Double mouse click the radius value and change it. You can't go greater than 5.9999 but you should be able to change the 4.1 value to 2.

jeff4136 said:

To get the radius at all four corners create a fifth point along the edge at the mid-point. Create the curve using this mid point as the start and end point.

Hi Nilmani,

I used six points to create the rectangle.

When using 5 points, the result is given bellow.

Regards,
Shankar
Edited by: shankar_me

shankar_me said:
Hi Nilmani,

I used six points to create the rectangle.

When using 5 points, the result is given bellow.

Regards,
Shankar

To use five points you want to start and end at PNT0 in your diagram above. As best I can tell it looks like you started at PNT0 and ended at PNT4? I got something similar to what you show in your picture only the etension was horizontal.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back