Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Cylindrical part with overlap-bend back

tracy

I have created a cylindrical shape using a revolved wall and an added flange wall, to get an overlap of 10 degrees. In order to create a mesh of rectangular holes, I needed to unbend the part. So far, so good. The problem is that when I try to bend back, the bend back fails. If I suppress the flange wall, I get a good bend back, but I cannot create an overlapping portion using just the revolved wall, as it only allows 360 degrees of revolution. The unbend fails at 360 degrees, but will not fail at 359.99 degrees.

If I create the part using a flat wall, with a cylindrical-with-overlap sketch, I can unbend and bend back, but I cannot successfully edit the diameter to make it larger.

My manager would like similar parts to be instances of family tables, but I have a feeling that this will not be possible for this part. I can probably get away with the flat wall model,copy to new part models and redo the initial wall sketch, but if there's a way to make this family-table-friendly, it would be nice.

Does anyone have an idea of other ways I can try to create this part that will allow it to live in a family table? Thanks in advance.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back