Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Cutting in an stl file and shrinkwrap resolution

Stefan Sogne

Hi,

I have a software that generates stl files from black and white images and I'd like to use those stl files in Creo as a starting piece.
Now when I import my stl it's only considered by Creo as a faceted feature not a solid so I can't cut it or use it in any interesting way.

After some extensive search it seems like its a common problem many users have. I've tried few tricks found here and there (passing true another software like FreeCAD or NetFabb basic and then exporting in other formats...) but it rarely works perfectly or take lots of time.

One trick that seems to work well is to save the stl as a shrinkwrap solid part. Then the resulting parts can be opened quickly and modified like any standard creo file.

But...

The quality is sometime too low to keep all the details from my original stl. Even when detail is set to 10 when generating the shrinkwrap.

So here are my questions:
-Is there a way to push the detail level higher than 10 when saving as a shrinkwrap ?
-Any other idea on how to convert an stl file into a solid part ?

Thanks for your help !

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back