Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

custom drill cycles in Pro Man

ToolDude

Does anyone use custom drill cycles in Pro Manufacturing? What I am having a problem with is drilling mold plates with water lines. These waterlines quite often will cross one another and when the drill encounters the other hole it will grab and make alot of racketor break the drill point.

So What I would ideally like to do is drill at normail speeds and feeds until the drill reaches a plane sitting on top of the cross hole then cut the feed and speed down as well as the peck depth if there is one.

Has anyone done anything like that.

Thanks

I can't think of any G-Code that allows that.... unless you've got somefancy CNCmachine...

What I would do,was to create two (or three, or whatever needed) consecutive drilling sequences, the second picking up where the first one has left off (depthwise), and so on, and so forth.

I hope it makes sense.

Dekpending on the machine control Siemens 840D has a cycle designed just for this situation. But if not creating a custom Pro cycle is not that hard once you go through the motions a time or two.

This is a piece of cake. Pro has a way to do what you want to do. Do a cycle, deep and select variable peck. When the parameters come up select the tab do the peck table. Setup the table at to how many time diameter you want the drill to work and set your feed for the peck the you need to change the feed. I can explain further if needed.

I tried using the custom drill cycle build functions but there isn't much info in the help files so I thought I would see if any one in here has actually built a custom drill cycle and got it to work. I understand what you are talking about cncwhiz and Markerwith the peck table but I was trying something new rather than doing it with peck tables or multiple sequences. Once the cycle is built I was hopingI could store it as a template for future use

ToolDude said:
I tried using the custom drill cycle build functions but there isn't much info in the help files so I thought I would see if any one in here has actually built a custom drill cycle and got it to work. I understand what you are talking about cncwhiz and Markerwith the peck table but I was trying something new rather than doing it with peck tables or multiple sequences. Once the cycle is built I was hopingI could store it as a template for future use

I have built a few custom cycles for the same type on thing you are referring to. I have two main ones that I use. I have a "two" step cycle and a "three" step cycle. The two step feeds in a the feed rate for "feed" and to a selectable depth. At this depth the tool changes to an input depth to finish the cycle. The three step does the same thing except you control the depth and feed more times. Custom cycle is a powerful tool providing your post can handle it as well.

thosecycles sound like what I am trying to do Cncwhiz. are they storable as a template and if so are you willing to share?

Thanks,

Tooldude

In my opinion there are many factors that come into play
with your problem. What type of drill are you using?
Carbide? Number of flutes? Have you considered regrinding
to change the lead in? What kind of controls are you
running? Sinumerik has many manufacturer cycle built in
the conversational programming. I have several instances
very similar to this where I slow down feed rate to break
through, speed up to get to next contact point, slow down
for re-entry, speed back to cutting feed rate. I am not
familiar with building cycles in your cam as I use
mastercam but I would recomend not using a pecking cycle
because in my experience deep drilling does not like
starting and stopping. Simply hand code a couple of G64
depths to slow down and then speed back up once you come
into contact with the other side.

Just my 2 cents, but if we could get a little more info
on the situation we may be able to provide a little more
assistance.

ToolDude,

Custom drill cycles are indeed what you need to use, even if your machine does not support this type of cycle motion.

Define the cycle as needed (all the changes in feed, etc.), but since your machine does not have such a cycle, just used sequence parameter CYCLE_OUTPUT=GOTO. This way you will not see CYCLE/ command in the CL file. It will be simulated in motion (GOTO, RAPID, FEDRAT and any other command you specify when describing the custom cycle).

Then store the cycle definition, so it can be re-used.

An added advantage here also is that you don't have to change your post
to support the new cycle description (if it exists), but the drawback is longer tape
(lots of G0 and G1).

<div style="text-align: left;">
</div>

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back