Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Creo Elements Pro to Creo 2.0 - Pains and Pleasure

SRINIVASANIYER1

We are planning to upgrade ourselves from Creo/Elements Pro to Creo 2.0. Will we have a lot of unlearning in terms of modelling process flow? I would like to hear from users the Pains and Pleasures!

like any significant upgrade, things are moved around. icons are in different spots or look different. but overall it's not that bad. the major frustrations we had was simply trying to find an icon that had been renamed (project is the new convert edge command for example).

most of us were up and running the same day with just a few issues

I found the transition to be very smooth. Some features were made easier to use. So far I'm the only one switched over but then again I'm the only one who knows how to use it.

You know, PTC made a bad move. First they gave it a childish name 'Creo", and that ribbon interface was the worst part of it. Did Solidworks change it?? No, need not. It was just so good with those Round, Chamfer tools etc in right toolchest. New interface means more mouse travel and wasting time in finding commands.

New interfaces always need some times to get used to, I'm not a ribbon lover but Creo implementation is not that bad, at least it's customizable. Are we really arguing whether the name "Creo" is childish or not, or whether it is "a bad move" to have changed name? Please... BTW I like the name Creo, it's not childish at all, it's Latin and being Italian I really like it LOL

I found Creo worth the change, altough my opinion is based on experience gained from dealing mostly with surface modeling. No advanced 2D documentation - and this can be a critical area for some one involved in dealing with VERY BIG drawings.

I'm sure going to the ribbon interface was to get Microsoft certification. In the long run it will be more familiar as most applications are going that route. As with any change from the familiar, it can be difficult and some people readily accept the change and go with it. Others, resist and complain about everything that they are uncomfortable with because it's so new. Change is inevitable. That's what we do. We all design, develop and improve products to make them better. We can't make everyone happy but if we do some research and do our best to determine the best design as a whole to meet the needs of the most people, that's all we can do. I believe this is what PTC does. Someone will always complain about it. If people would take the energy they put into hating it and apply it in a more positive and productive way, they will most certainly be better off.

At least with the Creo ribbon they didn't screw it up royally like autocad did and make the common commands buried. I'm not a huge ribbon fan but I do like the way Creo implemented it.

srieger
I think you got me on a wrong foot. I'm not someone who resists or is reluctant to change. As you rightly said, changes are inevitable. But when you implement something new, you got to take care of "used to" users to a certain level. Perhaps, what PTC could have done is making the ribbon interface optional.

On behalf of all those missing WF
Regards

frankly speaking, to me, Creo, thus PTC is still close to "the end of pack" regarding interface, all this "handling" stuff, just to name few things I do not understand they are default and obvious:

-double LMB click on the feature in Model Tree does not invoke its definition menu, it only does allow to change the name. Ok, so then why double click on the represantion of the feature in working area(3D geom) does not do it?

-why, there is still "text" menu under RMB? gush, Inventor fusion brings some cute solution to the table, and it seems that PTc noticed making an attempt one can take a chance to test in Frestyle module.

-what I miss the most regarding the funcionality(not the interface improvement) is better Reference Viewer. I would like to have something like model manager. I would like to ask Creo to present to me in geometric manner all feature wich are bound toghether, not by graphs as iti is nowadays, but by displaying them without displaying the rest, and so forth

-why, there is still "text" menu under RMB? gush, Inventor fusion brings some cute solution to the table, and it seems that PTc noticed making an attempt one can take a chance to test in Frestyle module.
Regarding better interface,we should wait and see what Creo 3.0 brings to the table, I remember when they first demoed Creo, it included those on selection popup toolbars (not sure about the name) that office 2007 first introduced.but it wasn't included in Creo 1 and 2. they later said it'll be available in Creo 3. i still have that "Planet PTC live" video which they unveiled the name Creo. in that video John Buchowski VP Product Management, says this:
"we're going to continue pushing the boundaries of user experience, we're trying to set the standard instead of follow the pack, and i think what we've done in Creo 1.0 is extremely impressive, once you see what we are doing with Creo 2 and 3, you're going to be blown away, its awesome!"
obviously this didn't happen with Creo 2, so we should have high expectations for Creo 3. i hope they deliver :)

Last edited:
srieger
I think you got me on a wrong foot. I'm not someone who resists or is reluctant to change. As you rightly said, changes are inevitable. But when you implement something new, you got to take care of "used to" users to a certain level. Perhaps, what PTC could have done is making the ribbon interface optional.

On behalf of all those missing WF
Regards

I guess I don't see the issue at all. the new interface has changed. yes, some commands were renamed or moved to weird spots. but there's a command finder that's incredibly easy to use and with few exceptions, I've managed to find what I need pretty quickly and the update was more or less seamless.

the problem with keeping old functionality with an optional ribbon is that now the software has to maintain two separate user interfaces. it's bad enough that the legacy commands still bring up the old school UI (tweaks, rounds, etc.) so to offer two totally different UIs seems ludicrous.

the change from WF to Creo wasn't that big. it's just a bit different and takes a few hours to get used to.

Its going to be interesting to see what PTC does with the interface with regards Windows 8.

Are they going to go to Metro tiles and touch screen or stick with desktop - computing is changing - touch screens and PADs are the future .... it will be interesting to see who goes there first with CAD.

a 52" touch screen would be like using an old drawing board - back to the future

Its going to be interesting to see what PTC does with the interface with regards Windows 8.

I think Creo is already "Win8 style", I mean, do you remember when it first came out the saladworks guys complained that the ribbon was not "standard" as it was plain white and simplistic? Well I think that's the look of ribbonized software in Win 8.

In my opinion desktop apps are not going to change a lot in windows 8, just take the latest office as an example, it's basically the same interface. Power users will always need that sort of interaction paradigm. At the same time the modular nature of Creo could also enable the development of some lightweight apps in metro stile, that could be interesting...

Paolo

Regarding better interface,we should wait and see what Creo 3.0 brings to the table,[...]
obviously this didn't happen with Creo 2, so we should have high expectations for Creo 3. i hope they deliver :)

I hope they will.

There are a lot of minor things which sometime are so annoying to me and made me wonder why?

i.e References window in sketcher mode - apart of it ancient interface and lack of Intuitive experience -it stands alone aside.

OK, let it be, but I would like to have in addition a possibility to "mount it into" Model tree which is this particular moment useless to me

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back