Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Creo Direct

design-engine

Anyone use Creo Direct with any success? I know of a few companies using it currently Modern Drop Forge for one ... and a few who used it before the PTC purchase. & More that are interested in using it since PTC has pushed it this past year.

What are your thoughts and who is using it?

Edited by: design-engine

We have it and it's pretty cool but it's difficult to fully implement until its more easily integrated in to the full Creo product and Winchill. It use an entirely different parts library which is also difficult to deal with. I don't want to have to manage multiple part libraries.

I was a long time user of CoCreate and Model Manager at HP, the pre-PTC versions of the SW. From what I can tell, all old toolbars and such still work so it is a direct copy at this time in the stand alone mode.

Direct is a whole different way to think about CAD and collaboration than Top Down & parametric history based tools.
BTW, direct has parametric part def'n and "live" part constraining built in, but few of my co-workers invested the time to utilize those tools, we chose the direct editing school of thought for most projects. You tend to end up with a democratic mode in direct, as opposed to the autocratic top down mode skeletons or master sketches create.

On the other hand, I'm enjoying learning the very structured & powerful TDD, but only some types of assemblies really fit that in my still evolving view.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back