Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Creating STRESS RELIEF

Lt-Loki

Hi All,

I'm a fairly new user (have used other systems though, which may be my problem here) so plz be gentle ;)

I have a sheetmetal part from a vendor. They have modeled it in WF-4 using the option to TEAR (no relief) on all their flanges and bends.

This is causing my CAM system fits because the part is coming in as NON-MANIFOLD.

SO, my question is.. Is there a way to change the relief type globally to a rectangular relief type, or do I have to edit *every* grakking feature one by one and change the relief type?

Thanks in Advance!

Lt-Loki

Lt-loki,

Probably cannot change the relief with a simple command, partly because the relief you suggested may require the wall be shortened to allow room for the relief if another wall is nearby. The relief wouldn't cut into another bend radius. A mapkey might be an interesting way to do it faster, but you would still have to deal with the resulting wall failures .

it is possible to set the relief default type for future part creation, if i am not mistaken.

you could send it back and tell them to add the reliefs for you? hehe

cheers,

M

Magneplanar,

Thanks for the response!

Take a look at this picture, here is the specific area of concern. These are fairly simple sheet-metal parts, with fairly simple bends, but there are a lot of tabs!

What I'm hoping to accomplish is a way to simply change these tabs to have a simple rectangular stress relief *without* having to edit each individual tab feature. Is there a global setting for stress relief in PTC like in other systems that would update the entire model?

Thanks in Advance!

Lt-loki,

Go to Edit->Setup->Parameter and change bend relief params to your defaults. Example:

You cannot manage relief type throughout all features, but at least you'll get a proper default in all walls.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back