Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Creating solid from stl file

ecosse

How can you convert a .stl file into a solid .prt file in WF 4.0? I have opened the stl and saved as a prt, but it only creates surfaces. Any ideas?

You'll probably have to heal the geometry first. If your surfaces do not form and enclosed volume you won't be able to create a solid part.

When ProE is ready to create a solid you'll see a message saying to click Edit > Solidify on the message area.

A .prt file is not synonymous of a solid part. You can have a .prt file composed only of surfaces or a mix of solid features and surfaces or solid features only.
Edited by: jvidal

It depends on why you need a solid part.

You are able to convert stl to solid : File > save a copy > Shrinkwarp > Faceted solid, it gives you a solid part.

Erik,

I tried this technique on an .stl file and was not able to generate a solid part. Have you seen a trend in the types of .STL files or the complexity of the file to end in a non-solid part? As I write this, I am trying another .stl file to see what results I will end up with.

I did have better success with creating a faceted solid geom part from an imported .iges surface. I used the quality setting of 10 and would have liked to have had a higher setting available due to the size of the facets that resulted in the solid model.

ANY insight you have on this would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Johanna

Sorry for the slow.

The complextiy is importent for the result. But your settings i the menu is also importent, please look at the first picture. The picture show the settings and the import stl file. The second picture show the result.

I hope it is helpful

I believe SolidWorks can do this. You can open the stl as a solid body and then save out as iges or whatever.

"I believe SolidWorks can do this. You can open the stl as a solid body and then save out as iges or whatever. "

uuuhhm..ok? seems to me that the question still remains unless you have SW?

(and please dontmake this to yet another boring"SWis better than pro/E"thread )

btw, welcome to this forum!!
smiley4.gif

//Tobias

Edited by: tobbo

I was simply stating that I believe SW can do it, therefore it is a potential solution. I have never tried it myself as I don't have regular access to SW.

Solidworks can do it, but there is a limited polycount. If your .STL has to many triangles it will not import it as a surface or solid body, and it seems this here is a fairly big file. Solidworks Premium's ScanTo3D might still do it though but I can't say that for a fact.

Eitherway I guess it's irrelevant right
smiley1.gif

Erik,

Thank-you for your post. Your images displayed the same setting options that I chose. The shrinkwrap functionality wasn't intended for the use I am applying it to, but it does make quick work of generating solid parts of non-critical parts.

Here is what I came up with. I'll update the post once I recieve the FDM part created from the file. (Identifying features have been removed to protect the innocent)

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back