Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Creating send gate for mold

Skie

ProE Wildfire 5
Example gate file: 2012-04-17_063008_send_gate_example.prt.zip
My part file: 2012-04-17_063055_plate_example.prt.zip
Standard Gate Plug: Note open the generic version to show the inner hole: 2012-04-17_063247_100_gate_plug.prt.zip

I am trying to make a Send Gate for a mold that goes from the Gate Plug to the mold cavity. I have a mold example from another part but can not copy over the features and make it work. I can't even look at it and dupicate the features because I am having problems with the trajectory settings. The example part is going to bring up errors of not having the reference parts but just unreference them and it will still bring up the "old" placements which is fine.

The gate is an acceptable design so if I can duplicate it somehow that would be great. If you know molds well and have a better way or easier way to do it then that would be great too because I have to do lots of them and of different sizes and the way they did it is super difficult to duplicate and change to new parts.

View attachment 5606

Thks LHuffman ! Looks perfect and I was able to copy it to the final part. I'm trying to learn just how you did it now. Sure would have liked to haveseen how you did it. Cheers and thks again.

bwilson I was just referring to the section where the mold material flows into the mold cavity. A tricky thing to design because it has to funnel the material in smoothly and break away after the mold has be filled.

Hello LHuffman (or anyone else who can help).

I am having problems with constraining the trajectory line tangent to the round revolved cut. I can not seem to find how to reference the geometry of the revolved cut sketch while in the sweep>cut>trajectory>define sketch. I assume that once you were able to reference that line then just select them both and create a tangent contraint.

View attachment 5612

Skie,

I used the datum plate "right" as the sketch plane when I created the sketch for the trajectory. That datum planegoes thougth the center of your revolve.

Set your sketch orientation to be parallel to the screen (there is on icon for that when in sketcher mode). Now create a sketch reference using the edge of the revolve. Then draw your line for the trajectory tangent to the reference curve.

Yes got it thks so much. I was just not seeing the reference as I rolled over it somehow but then there it was plain as day today. I understand how to make them now and it'smuch lessdifficult then I thought.Thks everyone. Cheers

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back