Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Creating cut through 2 parts

MadPickinSkills

Hi,

I'm not sure about the best way to describe what I need to do, but I'll try my best. Is there a way to create an assembly of 2 parts and mate them together, then create an extruded cut through them using geometry from a dxf file or exsisting sketch? Then save the 2 parts with the cuts in them?

thanks in advance

Yes, it is.

After you mate the parts follow this steps:

1) In assembly mode define a plan as you need for the extrude cut feature. Let's name it A0. In this plane make the draw for the sketch (let's name SK0).

2) Switch to EDIT PART mode for PART 1.

3) Select A0 then: Insert -> Reference Geometry -> Plane. You obtain a new plane (A1) parallel with A0.

4) Select A1 then start EXTRUDE CUT feature.

5) Select SK0 then click the CONVERT ENTITIES button. In A1 you obtain a new sketch (SK1).

6) Exit sketch... set the parameters for EXTRUDE CUT feature and apply it... exit

from EDIT PART mode.

That's all. Repeat, of course, this steps for all the parts you wish to cut.

Of cousrse: As SK0 you can use whatever can think and SW accept, including .dxf draw

Good luck !

In SW 2009, You can create an assembly cut.

While in the assembly: Menu: Insert: assembly Feature: Cut: Extrude.

It behaves quite like a normal cut but while creatingit you can specify a "Feature scope" and select "Propagate feature to parts".

The cut will be in each part.
Edited by: bjulien99

Mihail said:
Yes, it is.

After you mate the parts follow this steps:

1) In assembly mode define a plan as you need for the extrude cut feature. Let's name it A0. In this plane make the draw for the sketch (let's name SK0).

2) Switch to EDIT PART mode for PART 1.

3) Select A0 then: Insert -> Reference Geometry -> Plane. You obtain a new plane (A1) parallel with A0.

4) Select A1 then start EXTRUDE CUT feature.

5) Select SK0 then click the CONVERT ENTITIES button. In A1 you obtain a new sketch (SK1).

6) Exit sketch... set the parameters for EXTRUDE CUT feature and apply it... exit

from EDIT PART mode.

That's all. Repeat, of course, this steps for all the parts you wish to cut.

Of cousrse: As SK0 you can use whatever can think and SW accept, including .dxf draw

Good luck !

One thing, how can I import geometry that I have already created to use to cut?
thanks

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back