Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Creating BOM in Drawings

k_b_asher

Hello Friends,

I av been trying tocreate Bill of Materials for my mould designs in Pro/E.

In BOM, I show the quantities ofcomponents using &rpt.qty in repeat regions. But, Iam unable toshow the quantity of each componnents in their individual drawings along with their names, item no., etc .. I am sure there should be some way. I av tried hard but still not successful.

smiley19.gif

Can anybody tell me how do I do it ? Also I would like to understand how assembly parameters be used when working on individual component drawings.

Thanks in advance ..

Regards,

Asher

Why would you want to show qty in a partdrawing, that drawing is supposed to be a individual drawing, "the one".

For qty for parts I look into assembly drawings. Beasides the qty is subject to change, if you have the same part in 2 assemblies with different quantities then what??

You can't use assembly parameters inpart drawings unless you put the assembly model in your part drawing. Then you can show the parameter with &parameter:id (the id of the assembly)

Although I agree with vlad1979 and I also wonder why would you want qtys on detailed drawing, but...

One solution would be creating the part drawing with assembly model as a start model (model, you choose when starting with new drawing), setting up the BOM and filtering out all the rows not belonging to that part and then adding the part as additional model and create all the views for that part.

The drawing would be of course a lot bigger in size and you would have a lot of problems managing all the BOMs (if there are more detailed drawings), but if that's the way you want to do it, it might help.

skraba said:
Although I agree with vlad1979 and I also wonder why would you want qtys on detailed drawing, but...

One solution would be creating the part drawing with assembly model as a start model (model, you choose when starting with new drawing), setting up the BOM and filtering out all the rows not belonging to that part and then adding the part as additional model and create all the views for that part.

The drawing would be of course a lot bigger in size and you would have a lot of problems managing all the BOMs (if there are more detailed drawings), but if that's the way you want to do it, it might help.

I agree, this will be one solution, and I think the only one.

You could get in lot of trouble with putting the qty in a part drawing. You will have to refilter new parts that you add to the assembly. And like I said before what if the part is used in 3 or 4 assemblies. You will have to update the drawing each time there is a change in one of the assemblies.

You should try to "teach" your guys to look in the assembly drawing for quantities.

vlad1979 said:
You should try to "teach" your guys to look in the assembly drawing for quantities.
Vlad you just took the words from my mouth. I faced the same problem with the manufacturing guys especially purchase some 10 years ago when I joined a company as its design head. The practice then was to include the qty in the drawing. For every new assembly made using the part the ref was given in the part drawing for the respective qty. I literally had to fight my way
smiley7.gif
with a lot of bad mouthing to make them look into the DATABASE for qty and not in drawing. Finally the qty was removed from the part drawing and eased the job of my designers.

Here's a drawing of the part.Guess how many I drew?

What's wrong with people? I think I'm gonna take a walk over to Sales and tell them how to market our product for a while, then maybe visit Management and talk to them a bit about how the company's organized, eh?

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back