Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

creating accurate PDfs from drawing files

proengineer_tom

hey guys
i have been having a problem creating PDFs recently.
There are two ways im creating them

method
1) clicking print, and then selecting print as pdf, this creates a large file that contains all the information i need on it

2)export the drawing as a pdf, here the exporting function miss's some symbols ( ie like bend direction in sheet metal, and stuffs up the bend tables), but the up side is that this pdf is only a few 100k!

Is there a setting that stops acrobat from changing the font type when it exports a pdf so i can have a smaller size pdf

thanks

tom

I have always had much better success with printing to the generic postscript driver and then converting to PDF. There a a million free utilities that can do it if you don't have Acrobat Distiller. Ghostview/Ghostscript is the original an actually is the core engine behind most of the other utilities. The PDF's always come out correctly and the file size is reasonable. The downside is that the text is not text (just a collection of strokes) and therefore not selectable or searchable.

The way I create PDFs from Pro is to print using the MS Print Manager then inside of that selecting the AdobePDF printer. This works well for me because some of our drawings have imported images on them and the save as pdf doesn't capture those importedimages.

Dear Proengineer_tom!
in order to maintain the font size you should use the latest version of PDF. or you extract the very portion in which you r interested into a seperate file and convert to pdf it will be better but still there be the font change problem.
regards

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back