Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Creating a surface from another part

Ibanez

Hey up all, dont really know where to start with this. Iv got a part with a large radius that varies in both directions. I need to create a shaped washer that will sit on the surface of the first part. The way the company currently do this is to save a copy of the first part, create a surface over the required area, create the part around that surface and extrude the rest of the first part away leaving only the shaped washer. This seems a bit of a bodge to me as your left with the whole of the original part in the model tree.
Can someone point me in the right direction, any help much appreciated. Many thanks

Do you have Advanced Assembly Extension AAX? There are tools designed specifically to do this with AAX but we don't have it here so I can't really comment on that. Search the forum if you do.

If not then creating an assembly with the REF part and New part with fully defined placements you can Copy the desired surface from the REF part to the New part. Do so by first Activating the REF part and clicking on the desired surface till it is highlighted pink. Hit Ctrl-C to copy it then activate the new part and Ctrl-V to Paste it. Now you have a REF surface on the New Part to use.

Edited by: jsantangelo

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back