Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Creating a rim around a box

HLX2177

I'm a beginner to Solidworks and am having a hard time figuring out something that seems like it should be simple to do.I'vecreated a box 5x5x5 and I want to create a rim that goes around the entire box andis extrudedthe same distance (say 1/4 inch) around the box and is connected as one piece around the edges of the box. Imagine the rim around a square piece of tupperware.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
HLX

If it's a flat rim then you can use the extrude tool, first sketch the lip and then extrude it up. Or you can do a sweep if the rim is more complicated, like a tupperware rim. With the sweep, you will need to sketch the profile and then the sweep path in a seperate sketch.

Thanks michael. So I guess the part I'm having a problem with is that I've got my box created and I've sketched the lines for the lip on each side.When I extrude the lines upthey extrudeout and don't connect together at the edges. Is there a way to connect the lines so that when I extrude it applies to all sides at once and thenconnects the extrusions together so it's just one lip all the way around? I'm used to working with Softimage XSI for 3D modelling and this is really simple for me in that program butin SW it works totally different.

Thanks again for all yourhelp!
HLX

HLX,

Can you post a picture of either what you have or what you want? I'm having a tough time figuring out what your sketch looks like. Do you have 1 sketch for each side? This lip should be easily created with a single feature, whether its an extrusion or a sweep...

Jim

I created a sketch that's 5x5 and then extruded up 5 inches. Sonow I have a 5x5x5 box andall I want to do is create a continuous lip around the outside edgeof the entire box... like the lip to a tupperware container. So how do I make a single line go around the entire box as1 sketch so it can be extruded out as1 sketch? Hope that makes sense.

Thanks,
HLX

Learn about MITTER FLANGE tool. Maybe is the tool you are looking for. If you canpost a picture we can help you better

HLX,

Try making a sketch of a square on the top plane of the box. Make the sketched square 6x6, and centered on the existing box. Extrude this square into your existing 5x5 box 1" deep. You know have a 1x1" lip on your box.

Is this what you are trying to do?

Sorry, but I am having trouble uploading pics/files for some reason, otherwise I'd show you the tupperware lip I created for you.
Edited by: jimshaw

Jim,

I can't thank you enough. That's exactly what I needed. It's funny because it's all in the way you think about it. I'm from a background in 3D Modeling so I'm used to being able to copy edges and create rims that way. So after looking at what you wrote it just clicked. So I just offset the top outward, extruded a little and then offset inward a little and then extruded again and that was it. My love for Solidworks has been renewed...lol.

Thank you so much!
HLX

PS. Thanks to michael and Mihail as well for all the helpful input.

Glad to help! And welcome to "Sketch-based 3D solid modeling"!

Solidworks is considered to be a sketch based solid modeler for engineering, so you need to adjust your thinking if you're coming from the animation world. Standard 3D features are created by manipulating 2D sketches, using extrusions, revolves,sweeps, and blends to either add or remove material - all in an effort to simulate standard manufacturing techniques.

Well, that's the start of it anyways. The fun is just beginning!

using sweep tool would have been much easier i think....
smiley1.gif
smiley1.gif

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back