Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

copying a view in sheet 1 to sheet 2

alvin164

Hi guys,

is there a way i can copy a view from sheet 1 to sheet 2? i have an assembly that has the same parts with different lengths. for instance, sheet 1 and sheet 2 are the same parts, but with different lengths. I need to dimension the part. Since they are the same part, can i just dimension the part in sheet 1 and copy that view (with the fully dimensions) to sheet 2?

thanks

No you can't copy a view with all dimensions to #2 sheet.

You can move the view with all dimensions to #2 sheet, but you can't copy it.

hi alvin164,

First one thing is that if the length of these two parts are differnt then the part is not similar. (As per my consideration). Bcoz,manufacturing time both parts required seperate drawing.

An anather way is U can Do one thing in Assembly drawing, Mension one table ...Part 1 ,L=XX. and Part 2 ,L=XX.

and infirst drawing show that parts detail view lenth as a "L"

Yes you can copy a viw from one sheet to another. However, it will be missing driving and driven dimensions after placement. Here's how:

Save a copy of the original drawing. Call it temp.drw or something. Go to the final sheet in your original drawing and Insert> Shared Data>From File.

Select your temporary drawing. Delete any replicated sheets other than the one which now contains a copy of one of the sheets of the original drawing.

Phil

pjw said:
Yes you can copy a viw from one sheet to another. However, it will be missing driving and driven dimensions after placement. Here's how:

Save a copy of the original drawing. Call it temp.drw or something. Go to the final sheet in your original drawing and Insert> Shared Data>From File.

Select your temporary drawing. Delete any replicated sheets other than the one which now contains a copy of one of the sheets of the original drawing.

Phil

I think I remember trying this once and it didn't work, the dimensions are still missing.

Sounds like you have two completely different assemblies. If you want to have them both on the same drawing but on different pages go ahead and create the assemblies seperately,either with family table or two completely different assemblies. After, you can add each to your drawing using "add model" and "set model". If you have WF you can right click on the drawing area then left click on "drawing model"

Hope this helps.

If they are the same part, then why aren't you only creating one generic view and tablulating the variable parampeter using a 2D repeat region? It seems like you're making work for yourself.

ramgopal said:
hi alvin164,

An anather way is U can Do one thing in Assembly drawing, Mension one table ...Part 1 ,L=XX. and Part 2 ,L=XX.

and infirst drawing show that parts detail view lenth as a "L"

We practice this at work and es very practical. Not to mention it will save you lots of time, plus machine shops are very familiar with it.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back