Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Convergence and P-Pass????

kiddbd

New to Mechanica. Can anyone give me an explanation and/or and example of whatconvergence and p-passmean in Mechanica? And what does it mean if I set the convergence % to 5%? Thanks for any help.

Kiddbd

I'ts good that you ask first before you make some mechanica analysis.

In mechanica, it uses "p-element" approach in which p stands for polynomial. In old days, FEA uses the "h-element" approach which is similar to our finding an area of an irregular shaped element using integration and derivatives during our school days. in h-element approach, the irreg shape is sliced into elements, called "h" element, the more "h" the higher the accuracy of the analysis but as the number of "h" element rises, the time to analyse versus accuracy becomes impractical.

in mechanica, instead of slicing the irreg shape into increasing elements, it preserves the number of element and just raise the order of the ploynomial up to 10.you can see this in multi-pass convergence method. a 25%convergence means that pass 1 should only have25% difference in accuracy after pass 2 and so on until it reached your assigned polynomial limit.the lower the convergence the higher the accuracy but it will also yield longer computational time. max convergence in mechanica is 25%.

you should read first articles about how mechanica analyzes before you trust him.
smiley2.gif

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back