Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Contact regions!

ksarita20

hi ,

iam doing an analysis on a assembly. i am trying to use contact regions . but pro/e is giving an error. i am also following a text book from SDC publications. but its not working for me. can any one tell me the exact usage of contact surfaces. and how to exactly implement in pro/e

thanks in advance

Sarita

hey ,

i am using free option instead of contact, its giving me an error as

Standard Design Study

The design study terminated abnormally.
One or more of your contact regions creates a crack at the
interface between two volumes. Please review your contact
regions.

PLease help me out.

thanks

Sarita

Sarita

In order to prevent Pro/E from fussing the two parts together in WF 2.0 and WF 1.0 there is a new connection called "FREE" under the inteface option. Assign theFREE connection to eachpair of surfaces thatare in contact but that do not needto be merged during AUTOGEM. You still need to assign a contact region in conjuntion with the free interface.

Differences:

Free interfaceflags ProE not to merge the surfaces of to bodies in contact into one body.

Contact Regionsflags proE that two or more surfaces may come into contact during the analysis.

Luis
Edited by: Luis Aguirre

hi Luis,

Once again its ur reply that helping me. thanks

wow thanks alot, i am assuming that " free" is an option which can do the same function as contact regions.

but i have another question , what is the difference between contact regions using surfaces and contact regions using parts.

Thanks in advance.

Sari

even if i use both contact regions as well as free option, i get this message

Fatal Error; Run Terminated
regions.

please , what to do, i am stuck here

Sari

Sari,

Answer to first question:

Contact region using surfaces: This option is used when you want to specify what surfaces you believe will be in contact.

Contact region using parts: Using this option gives Give MECHANICA the option to create contact regions in the surfaces it thinks may be in contact.

I prefer to useContact region using surfaces since it allows me to only specify what I think will be in contact.

Answer to the second question:

I believe the problem you are having is with the geometry. The error

Fatal Error; Run Terminated
regions.

has been discuss in the forum before. You may want to browse through the different pages in the analysis forum to see if you find the message in which we discuss this issue or possibly use the search tool on the top of this web page to search for the answer.

Here is the link

http://www.mcadcentral.com/proe/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=24 822&KW=contact

Luis
Edited by: Luis Aguirre

hi ,

i saw this forum before and even tried to create more contact region as specified in the forum , but even then i am getting this error.

The contact regions work fine for some problems which are quite simple in geometry, so is it the problem that Pro/e is not handling well.

smiley19.gif
sari
Edited by: ksarita20

Luis explained well about creating contact . what is it you are dealing with here exactly?Contact errors in Mechanica can occur depending on what kind of assembly you have .The casewhere only2 parts come into contact is different from 10 parts do.If you have notfound a wayout to your dilemma,please give some more details about your assembly.

hi sezerserhan,

thanks for your concern, but i could figure out how they work. As you said Luis explained very well.

THanks All.

Sari

Hi all,

I am looking to use the kind of mechanica contact regions that are discussed in this thread. I remember someone mentioning a book from SDC. Can I get a title to this book? I would really like a tutorial to help me understand this feature better.

Thanks in Advance

hi,

the Text book is

Pro/Mechanica Structure

Student Edition Tutorial

Roger Toogood, Phd Eng

SDC publications

This text book is good for begining of Pro/mechanica. but the last chapter has some miscellaneous problems in which the they discussed about contact analysis.

I hope pro/e central stores has this book, check it out.

Sari

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back