Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Composites and foams subject to impact

dave_f

Hello,

I am looking to use proE to model the behaviour of composite materialssubject to impact.Specifically:

1.composites made up of several layers within a resin matrix.

2. 'sandwich' composites comprising a honecombe middle with outer metal skins.

3. any type of foam.

Any models, tips or references to similar work would be most appreciated.

Thanks, Dave_F

I am also using composites. But I cannot even build a laminate except on one surface of a solid. have you ever build laminate layers by itself? I think pro/m can assign laminate properties to a solid.

Laminates in Pro/MECHANICA can only be modelled in shells (you need advanced Structure and Thermal simulation pack or an older full Mechanica Structurepackage). With shell properties assigned to a paired surface in integrated Pro/MECHANICA you can build a laminate with different materials and material orientations for each ply of the laminate. In case of a symetrical buildup you need only model half the laminate. MECHANICA will calculate the resulting stiffness andperforms the analysis with this stiffness. In postprocessing you can look at the results for each ply seperately if desired.
For impact (specially with foam between two thin layers) you could need to model the laminate in solids with a seperate volume for each ply, depending on the kind of deformation in respect to the laminate thickness. It depends on the model which modelling technique is most applicable.

Victor
www.hecbv.nl

Victor,

thanks for your advice. I'll try this out.

Kathy,

I will be working on a project towards my undergratduate degree over the next few months. If you are doing something similar then perhaps you would like to compare notes as we go along?

Dave_F

I just completed a analys of carbon composite, also as a uni-project.
I found that the hardest part is to get hold of the correct properties for all
the material available out there.
I did never find a way to make ProE calculate smooth variations in the
construction thickness.

There was a not allot of ProE users at that university, they used another
app, Abacus.
Does someone have experience with that app in combination with
composite analyses?
ProE bugs me (even though I need to try more before making a comment
like that :)) >-> Why cant I have odd number of layers with symmetry on,
as example.
Edited by: m_collner

ABAQUS is a dedicated software for non-linear FEM analysis. you can't compare Mechanica with ABAQUS.

Mechanica is famous for anlyzing large assembly structures but only good ofr linear materials.

It does have the facility to do Composites analysis and I have completed a few analyses of this type with Mechanica.

Israr

I'm looking for any tutorial to start learning how to develop a composit materials analisis in Pro/E, at least how to use the Pro/Composites module to be able creating the geometry and asinging the properties, plies and more, if anyone knows where i can find tutorial about how to work this module, this information would be useful, thank.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back