Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Comparing different Rendering software

pro_eek

Shouldn't the Animation forum be called Animaton& Rendering? Or even better, make a new "Rendering" forum. This forum can then be used for all things concerning rendering. There is a "Rendering... Q&A Gallery"topic under Modeling, whichis getting too long in amount of posts and maybe not the best place to discuss general rendering topics such as software etc.

Following on a discussion from [url]http://www.mcadcentral.com/proe/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=36 671[/url] :

When I worked with industrial designers, I was amazed at how quickly they managed to get good results with their 3DS Max renders. I think it's very much learning the "tricks" for lighting and material setup etc. Once you know what to do to get certain types of results, you can quickly replicate it the next time. This is the type of information that some people carry in their heads, if you're lucky you'll find someone to share it with you!

I'm still to be convinced that you can get high end results with ARX. OK, maybe you can for certain types of scenes, but your setup options are still limited compared to something like 3DS Max etc. The problem with 3DS Max is... the bewildering amount of options! Unless a pro told you what to use and what not to worry about, you can easily sink in the quick sand of info overload. (Do I light my scene using photon torpedoes or UV radiation..) Seriously, maybe we should check out maxwell render's scene setup a bit. They claim to make things a bit easier than 3ds Max.

I tried Alias Imagestudio before Autodesk bough Alias. They claimed a simple scene set up process which looked good. Only problem was that when I used the supplied "Direct connect" software to export my Pro/E model, some sub-assemblies lost their positioning on importing into Imagestudio.

I think the final verdict isn't out yet on best rendering options for Pro/E modellers. We may yet see more changes in the immediate future. Its in our interest to keep track of whats out there and keep posting our findings.
Edited by: pro_eek

I have had really good results with a product called Hypershot from Bunkspeed. This software is easy to use and is quick to render a model. I have done simple one part models to large models that consist of several hundred components.

I was playing around with Adobe Acrobat 3d yesterday. It seems to have all the bells and whistles for rendering. Anyone else tried it?

Thought Acrobat Viewer is just that, a viewer allowing you to spin, annotate comments and change minimal lighting options. The material look etc is defined in the CAD environment from where you export it.

Does the actual Acrobat "Creator" software give you more options?

Yes, I have Acrobat 3d, which will allow imports from most CAD systems. The rendering occurs within Acrobat, with many more options and features than ProE. Materials, textures, lights, etc can all be defined in Acrobat.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back