Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

compare part by geometry

petercarter

Hi smart guys,

Do you have experiences with comparing proE and solidworks parts? I haven't and I'm surprise that's a problem. Procedure for compare parts together looks like really automatic and easy - I don't need assign datum or plane from one part to other or something.

Big mistake in my comparison is different position for each part! I mean first part is rotate about 90degrees angle from second - comparison is unusefull then.

I quess that proE is pretty smart and recognize surfaces and volumes on both parts and find better fit for them. Well in my case it doesn't work
smiley19.gif

I appreciate any advice about procedure to fit my parts together properly.
Thank you!

Peter

I presume you compare your solidworks partsby importing them in Pro/E.
At that point you should be able to position them right.

Do not drag'n'drop or open the importing file into Pro/E directly. Create first a new part, with the default datum planes and the default coordinate system. Then create a new coordinate system, rotated from the default coordinate system. Then choose Insert, Shared Date, From File andappend it to the new coordinate system.
When it isn't oriented right yet, just edit the new coordinate system.

Save and compare now with your Pro/E files.

Huug

I am in 2001. The only compare we can do is a feature by feature part compare. Comparing a Solidworks imported part vs a Pro/E part would not work. You could compare part volumes, but not much more. What I sometimes do is create an assembly andassemble the seperate parts, assign a color to them and possibly cut cross sections to see where the parts may vary. Normally it is just shade the assembly and look to see if there are geometrical differences.

Another option you could try with that two colours assembly proposal of donha is an interference check.

Peter: I don't know whats wrong with your parts that you cannot compare them. It is right that you can only compare by geometry. But Pro/E should show you the differences. I can imagine that the imported part is not solid, so that a cutout won't work. But you should be able to get te accuracies similar.

Huug

There is an option called Verify that I used to use whenI had a license for it.

I do what donha does, it works pretty good, you could also use some transparency or wireframe to one part too.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back