Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Checking in parts with suppressed feature

Dick_S

I have a user who insistes on checking in parts with supressed features, and/or assemblies with supressed components. For obvious reanons this causes problems for other users, especially in assemblies where components lose their constraints. I know I can use modelcheck to prevent this but right now we dont use MC at all. We're a very small group and I can't use MC without a consensus.

This user wants to supress features because he doesn't want our outside resources to know about them. I need to offer a solution. Can he use a simp rep or exchange file or something?

Thanks

Hi Dick, there has got to be more to your problems for checking in then what you are saying. we do not have this problem of checking in assemblies with suppressed parts.what version software of wildfire are you using and is the data base windchill 9.4?

thanks

Lou

Well, functionally, there is no problem checking in parts with suppressed features. I've always been taught to not do that according to PTC best practices. The problem is that when another user opens thea assembly in questions he'll have a bunch of failed component placements because of the supressed features, etc.

If user 2 is not aware of the situation, he's got a mess and I don't want users to be wasting time trying to solve mysteries.

Again, PTC best practice is to not allow check in of these objects. I just need a good rational to convince this guy.

Dick_S,
We have discovered an option called Pro/Ass_woopin'.
When installed correctly, it usually coerces the offending
user to do things the correct way.

(Just a little Monday morning humor.)

<div id="swiffout"></div>First of all, I strongly advise to NOT check in parts/assemblies with suppressed features/parts, since another user will not know if these suppressed items are meant to be suppressed or if they are errors!

If you send your outside resources ProE files they will know what has been suppressed, becasue it shows in the model tree.

You could use a family table to have a generic (default) part with the features suppressed and a family table variant that does not have the suppressed features show up (you disable the suppressed features for the variant). You can use a copy of the variant in your assemblies, so no suppressed features show up. You cannot use the original part, because outside resources will still be able to open and see the generic part (since it's actually just one and the same file). Also not the most practical solution...

If you must really have suppressed features without familiy tables, I suggest you add a note feature in the model tree directly above and below the suppressed feature with an explanation why it's been suppressed. That way at least another user knows the reason and that it's not a mistake.
This is also quite useful when grouping features to describe what's in the group and it makes it easier to ungroup/regroup, because the note features are the first and last in the group.

<div id="swiffout"></div>
Edited by: Zestje

Dick_S: You sound like you're the boss. If so, act like it! If not, tell the boss that this is simply not acceptable and costing your department money.

I think that's what herb was getting at.

Roger,

Unfortunately, I'm NOT the boss. I'm the mushroom underneath the pile of s__t. I've been shoved into this position by HR because we have no boss. We have no eng boss because they don't last long here. Six months average. So, I'm basically screwed.

Dick

Is the "outside resource" a vendor, or a contract firm doing work for you? If it is a vendor, save a copy of the model with the suppressed feature, and make an IGES from it. If it is a contract firm, then they must have signed a non-disclosure agreement, right? So share the unsuppressed models with them.

-Rebo

Dick:

You have my deepest sympathy! Reminds me of a job I had in Dirby, KS. Long story.

Of course, in this economy you can't just move on. And you can't express your opinion too forcefully. Rock and a hard place. Hang in there, it'll get better.

By the way, take a look at nebraska republic dot org and pick on "WATCH VIDEO". Let me know what you think.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back