Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Check-out and auto lock objects

Georgi&Jaro

Hi to all,

Recently, our company migrate to Windchill.
My question is: is it possible after check out objects into my workspace they will be also locked automatically?
I googled a lot even in this forum, but ... Perhaps is an option into ProE!!

Thanks in advance!

Once they are checked out, only the user of the workspace they have been checked out to can edit them - they are still available for download by others, but not for checking out.

Perhaps the question is: is it possible to automatically lock objects when they are downloaded to workspace? This helps to prevent unintended changes. I am curious about that too, I would appreciate if someone could answer that.

hii dksaraiva..
One line answer is: NOT automatically, but manually YES.

In workspace u have to select objects, then edit and then lock/unlock.

As robert mentioned, objects checked out by any user will be locked and not available for editing for others.That serves the purpose of unintended changes and avoid loss of work/revision control...

Locking objects solely throughcheck out is not an option when you are working on an environment with 1000+ users and 1000000+ objects. We actually control that throughlifecycles and groups.

The issue I see is when working on the early stages of a project, when there are many objects allowed to be changed bya large groupof people.Consider adesigner that has 5000 objects in a workspace and he has already performed the "edit and then lock/unlock" operation, locking the objects that he doesn't want to change. If he adds an assembly with 1000 more objects to the workspace, and he wants that assembly just for reference, how is he going to differentiate these recently added objects so that he can avoid unintended changes? Of course this can be done manually, but it is a very time consuming operation!

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back