Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Cannot Build Surface?

JHNCAJ

I get a message, "Cannot Build Surface- Curves meet tangentially". (ISDX)

What do you do when you have two curves that meet tangentially and need to build a surface from them?

Typically, if the curves are tangent, it may be appropriate to use the two curves as one boundary.
Posting a picture would certainly help.

This is a curve projected onto a flat square surface. The curve clips the edge of the square surface.

The tangent cureve is placed in the plane of the square surface in order to create a

complete oval shape.

Are you attempting to create a flat oval surface? (That's a simple fill) or is the intersecting curve part of the intended surface? You should create some additional curves, if that is the case and create a series of 4-part boundaries.

The objective here is to create a three dimensional "dome" bridging the edge of the flat square surface.

That oval shape is composed of two cureves that touch at the edges of the square surface....that is where the tangency is.

It seems that if you construct a shape in this manner you need to put an additional curve at that tangency point....i.e.....you need more curves......unless you can "join" the two tangent curves somehow but I have not been successful doing that at this time

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back