Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Can’t post with Pro NC.

ckirchen

Hi all,

I am not able to post g-code with ProNC with WF4.0, build M050.

I create a sequence, then click CL Data>Output>select the sequence>File>Done and then name the file (as seq0001.ncl.1)and save it in my working directory (which is a folder containing the ProE and ProNC models).

Then I click CL Data>Post Process>select the NCL file>check or uncheck MACHIN>Done. If I leave MACHIN unchecked, the list of PPs comes up and as soon as click on the mine (UNCX01.P41), the list just disappears and the g-code is not posted. If MACHIN is checked (meaning PP selection comes from the NCL), I just see the flash of a DOS window and the g-code is still not posted.

After a lot of poking around, on a whim, I copied the NCL file into the same directory as the PP, and suddenly both methods (MACHIN checked and unchecked) could post g-code.

I purposely set updirectories in config.pro (such asgpostpp_dir D:\ProENGINEER_Root\NC_GPost) to keep the clutter to a minimum. I just don't accept that I tohave to drag the NCL into the PP directory every time to post g-code; what a time-waster. Please tell me this is not normal...

I've tried everything I could think of; different directories, different PPs,different MFG models built from scratch, etc. I even removed all of my customizations (i.e. config.pro, tree.cfg, starting directory), but it didn't make any difference. The only thing I haven't tried is to reinstall ProE; I'm hoping that there is something that I've overlooked before I go that far.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by: ckirchen

Chris -
Have you set the config.pro option for the CL file location? Take a look at
PRO_MF_CL_DIR <set \ to \ full \path>

That'll set the location where Pro will write the ncl files, and the tape file. Setting this also tells the post where ti look for the NCL as input, i believe.

The behavior you are seeing is _not_ typical when things are set up correctly. I am pretty sure a full reinstall is not required. It's likely just a minor configuration issue, like the one i mentioned.

I gave a presentation at the 2007 world user event on setting up pro/nc. I have a download-able pdf of it on my website (Free!) You may find it helpful.
Here's the link:
http://coldfire-e.com/pro_nc-now_what.pdf

Hope that helps.
-tsl

Thanks, that did the trick.

I actually came across your PDF two days ago and that's how I knew to include gpostpp_dir in my config.pro. pro_mf_cl_dir was there as well, but I had commented it out. Oops.

So that means that all NCL and g-code will end up in the same folder. Any tips for organizing it? Or do I just move what I want to keep into the model folder when I'm done and delete the rest?

Well, now that is a completely different topic....
There are lots of options for that. I'd be interested in hearing opinions from the rest of the community. Some of this will depend on your data management tool, like Intralink, Windchill, ProductPoint, or Windows file explorer, etc.

In the meantime, I'll offer some ideas. First off, you could create a different folder for each project. This would be similar to a workspace, in the data management tools. Folder naming convention would follow part number and version.

Alternatively, a folder based on dates could be used. That works for me, in conjunction with customer name. For example, I have a folder for each customer, and then i use sub-folders named like 2008-12. That helps me organize things by company and date. If i need even more options, I'll create sub folders for individual projects inside the 2008-12 folder.

That works for me. I won't assume it'll work for you, but maybe it'll spark some other ideas / discussion.

Glad to see the PDF is actually helpful. It's been downloaded quite a few times (~6000), but i haven't gotten much feedback on it.

-tsl

You need to edit your config.pro to direct your location of the cl file and the g-code.

Otherwise it uses the 'Working Directory'.

example: pro_mf_cl_dir C:\ptc\pro_stds\mfg_stds\cl_files

Thanks,

Kent

I'll probably organize the CL Data byusingsub folders and descriptive sequence names. Thanks again for your help.

Now, I'm havingproblems with Process Manager.

1. I wanted to set up the default colums by adding, removing, and relabelling them with the Process View Builder.I added a line tomy config.pro (mfg_process_table_setup_dir) to store the settings. When I hit save in the Builder, it puts the XML in to the current working directory. I moved it to mfg_process_table_setup_dir, but the next time I opened Process Manager, the column settings are gone. It only works if the XML is in the working directory. Is there another config.pro option that I need to set too?

2.If I add operations or steps, they show up in Process Manager, but they don't show up in the Model Tree.

3. When I click Play Path or Calculate Step Time, the Manufacturing Info window only pops up for an instant.

There is one thing that I noticed; in my Process Manager, there is only a Close button at the bottom right. In your 'now what' PDF, on page 30, it shows OK, Apply and Close.

Chris -
I found a TAN on the support page that talks about this. The number is 139761.
here is a snippet of the details:

<table ="boundedTop indent20 alignTop"><t><tr><th>Title</th>
<td>Config.<wbr>pro Option mfg_process_table_setup_dir Does Not retrieve in Wildfire 4.<wbr>0 The View List Configured in step_table_setup.<wbr>clm File.<wbr></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<th>Details</th>
<td>

<h5>Description</h5>
<div style="padding: 10px;">

mfg_process_table_setup_dir pointing to a directory different than
working directory does not retrieve in Wildfire 4.0 the view list
configured in step_table_setup.clm. This was successfull in Wildfire
</div>

<h5>Resolution</h5>

Issue has been resolved in Wildfire 4.0 M020.
</div>

<h5>Alternate Technique</h5>

Place step_table_setup.clm file in startup directory. This will
allow in Wildfire 4.0 F000 successfull retrieval of configuration in
Process Manager.
</div></td></tr></t></table>I think you mentioned a datecode greater than the affected datecodes listed above.
I guess one workaround would be to place the table_setup.clm file in your startup directory, much like a config.pro. At least then you wouldn't have to have a jillion copies of it, or recreate it every time you needed it.

You'll need to 'create' the sequences to see them in the model tree. To do this, select Features > Create Manufacturing Features for All Steps. This is done from inside the PM.

I'll have t olook at # 3 a bit more.

You last point regarding the Apply button is a good catch. The screen grab i used to create that powerpoint was from WF2. That button was removed in WF3. I guess that means I have some work to do on freshening the documentation.

Hope that helps a bit.
-tsl

Todd,

So, I called the PTC help desk after I posted. The person who helped me was able to run the same build of ProE (WF4.0 M050) and he confirmed the problem with Process Manager.Here's what we found:

- WF4.0 M050 does not make step_table_setup.<WBR>clm; it makes mfg_session_setup.xml instead.

- Settting mfg_process_table_setup_dirin config.pro has no effect.

- It doesn't matter where mfg_session_setup.xml is, it will not be found, even if it is in the startup directory.

- Renaming mfg_session_setup.xml to step_table_setup.<WBR>clm has no effect.

- The only way to read mfg_session_setup.xml is to have it in the working directory.

He advised me to file an issue report, which I will do first thing Monday morning.

He also told me how to create the sequences so that they are in the model tree.

Lastly, he said that it is normal for the manufacturing info windowto disappear, because it's only supposed to show up while calculating. I believe he is wrong, but I had to get off the phone, so I told him I will call back on Monday. I was able to snap a screenshot of it (took a couple of tries); does this window stick around for you?

PTC technical support works! I just got off the phone with the same operator that I talked toon Friday (to file the issue report for the Process Manager bug described above).

To display the Manufacturing Info window, you simply need to hit the "NC Info Dialog" icon in the Manufacturing toolbar.

I forgot to mention that there is already an SPR in the system. The number is 1650495 and here are the details:

On Wildfire 3.<WBR>0 we are able to retrieve by default the columns width and order, trough the config.<WBR>pro option

Hello

With WF4, you should use the new config.pro option : mfg_setup_dir
This new one replaces former mfg_process_table_setup_dir and mfg_tool_dialog_setup_file
Example : mfg_setup_dir D:\users\4Cad

In this directory you should place your mfg_session_setup.<wbr>xml.

It will include all your personnal settings in ProNC (tool setup, process setup)...

f_g67 said:
Hello
With WF4, you should use the new config.pro option : mfg_setup_dir

I tried that on my own and while on the phone with PTC Help. Unfortunately, it didn't work. I've even tried renaming mfg_session_setup.xml to step_table_setup.clm (the old name), which also didn't work.

Which build of WF4.0 are you running? I'm on M050.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back