Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Calling Assembly Parameters into BOM Table Relation

LostAgain

Hello,

I have been struggling with this problem for a while and am looking for some expertise, hopefully I can clearly explain what I am trying to do so that perhaps someone can shed some light on the problem.

I am starting by calling some values from an excel file into an assembly and these values are assigned to user defined parameters in the assembly. For simplicity these parameters are RopeLengthMax and RopeLengthMin. This is all fairly straight forward and works fine, when in the drawing they are correctly called using the ampersand symbol.

My hurdle is trying to display these values in the BOM table as the BOM table calls the parameters from the individual assembly items.

The second issue is that I only know how to set up a user defined relation in the BOM table that propagates vertically and is not independent to a certain cell, let me illustrate.

bom table.jpg

if asm_mbr_name=="ROPE1"
ROPELENGTHMIN=”5”
else
ROPELENGTHMIN="8"
endif

if asm_mbr_name=="ROPE2"
ROPELENGTHMAX="2"
else
ROPELENGTHMAX ="7"
endif

if asm_mbr_name=="ROPE1"
FINAL=ROPELENGTHMIN
else
FINAL=ROPELENGTHMAX
Endif

Where the variables ROPELENGTHMAX, ROPELENGTHMIN and FINAL are the user defined relation parameters for the respective columns, LMAX, LMIN and LENGTH.

The ideology behind what I am trying to do is to assign ROPELENGTHMIN to ROPE2 and ROPELENGTHMAX to ROPE1. AS can be seen this works currently by filtering them through, however these are just entered values and what I ideally want to do is replace these entered values with the parameters set in the assembly called from the excel sheet so that when the excel sheet is updated the whole assembly/drawing combination is also updated.

This is to enable the production of multiple drawings (family table is not really appropriate in this situation) as efficiently as possible. I cannot relate the parameters to the individual parts are these are merely visual carriers and a representation.

I hope this makes some sense and someone can perhaps help.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back