Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Calculating strain along member...

Vesh

If you have a circular section member and want to know the strain parallel to its axis, what options do you use in the 'result window definition' box?

Edited by: Vesh

G'day Vesh,

I don't think that there is a specific option in the results window area, in fact I've found the post processing part of the program quite useless.

To measure the strain in a member you will have to set measures (Insert > Simulation Measure) before running the simulation then get the value calculated after the run from the run status window (or .rpt file openned as a text doc) You can generate plots of the measures in the results window but it takes more time especially when there is only one value anyway.

There is a specific strain measure you can apply. Got no idea how it calculates it but give it a go. Or you could define two displacement measures at each end and find the strain from that.

Hope it helpful!

Cheers

Darren

Vesh,

There is no need to create a measure. What you need to do is to find how your part is oriented with respect theWorld coordinate system. For example if the circular section axis is parallel to your global x axis then in the post processor change the quantity to read STRAIN and the component to read XX. After that you can use the Dynamic Query option under the info pull down menu to probe for strain in any location in the model.

Luis

Hey Luis,

What you said is correct, although I have some limitations.

My elements are beam idealisations, therefore no information comes up when analysing strain uniaxially.

The dynamic query isnt accurate enough as I want to know a very specific location, around the beam.

For these reasons Ive modelled a small part in solid, and done what you said, but the problem is still that I cant know exact locaitons with the dynamic query.

Hence I think setting measures would be prefect, unless there another possibility.

Cheers, I appreciate the info.

I am having limited success with the simulation measure feature.

It is working perfectly, but for only around 5-6 simulation measures at once. If I do more, the analysis crashes with a msengine.exe error during the run.

I have to go and delete some of the measures, and add others in different locations to obtain all my results.

Is there a limitation on number of simulation measures?
What causes a msengine.exe error?

there a no limitation on number of simulation measures. I have used about 24 measures inone analysis.

The reason for error may be you are voilating rules of mechanica engine, depends on the specific problem. send me your problem and I will diagnose it for errors.

Israr

Hey thanks for your response.

I restarted the comp and now it seems to allow me to do all 14 of them at once. I dont know what I have done differently this time?

I will definitly let you know if I have more dramas in the future

Regards

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back