Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

CAD.... the term has been hyjacked

design-engine

The term has been hyjacked by AutoCAD. Would you agree? Just when did that happen. Students tell me they learned CAD in HS. I inevitably ask what CAD. and they just say 'you know... CAD' and later I learn they mean AutoCAD.

Edited by: design-engine

design-engine said:
The term has been hyjacked by AutoCAD. Would you agree?

I totally agree. The other question I've been asked often is "can you send us the CAD data?" and the answer is "no" if with cad data you mean the original Pro|E files with all the "intellectual property" built in, then I understand they simply want a DWG file instead of a PDF...

Another subtle form of hyjacking of the CAD name, at least here in Italy and in architectural fields, is that "CAD IS 2D", and "doing something in CAD" does not mean "produce a part in Pro|E or ArchiCAD or whatever other software and then produce a drawing", it means "draw an awful lot of lines and curves in AutoCAD, then go completely crazy if you need to update a view". There's a sort of grey area for young architects and designers here, where they are enrolled and payed to do "CAD drawings", that is, work with AutoCAD as if it only was a computerized drawing board...

I would say its another just an marketing stunt, so that every time someone say CAD first thing that strikes in head would be Auto CAD. <?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
"intelligent thinking"

tobbo said:
you mean like this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOZqRJzE8xg

that was 1963, hahaha

Yeah, it's soooo sad :D:D:D It's such a waste of time, still drawing top and side views without having a 3D model as source... If one can use ArchiCAD well, he would be able to rebuild an entire floor, add furniture, lighting and rendering while they are still drawing lines and correcting mistakes. It's so crazy :D

I saw the sketup tool posted on core77. Crazy what they did back in the day. Bisecting the curve reminds me of using Pro/E drawing mode and moving lines around in the detail mode. haha.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back