Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

cable chain carrier mechanism

e30solo2racer

Hey there,

I am trying to create a mechanism using an IGUS cable chain. (http://igus.kimweb.de/index.asp) I've set up the mechanism using pin connections with joint limits set at 0 to 30 deg. Before defining the joint, I aligned all the components to a plane to be sure that all the angles would be zero. After defining all the joints, I create a planer connection folded back on itself with the last link added joined to an offset plane from the first link. The point of this mechanism to to have the first link stationary while being able to drag the last link in a straight line making the radius of the bend in the chain a minimum. Let me know if you guys have any ideas.

I've got one that works as you described. The real problem is controlling the links after either end since the whole chain can fold within the limits of the mechanism constraints. The IGUS chain would do that as well. I'm thinking about using an additional cam constraint and the allowing lift-off. This should allow the chain to move as desired while providing more control. If you try it let me know how it works.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back