Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

C compiler for Mechanica Motion

lbotez

Does anyone know if any "C" compiler other than Microsoft Visual C++ 5/6 works for Pro/Mechanica Motion?

I am curious if any of youtried anopen source compiler, such "gcc", and what was the outcome.

Thanks,

Lucian

Its not the answer to your question, but I have heard that ptc is planning to retire Mechanica/Motion and fully replace it with MDO.

Custom loads have already been introduced into MDO.

What do you think about the two options?

Israr

I know that Motion requires a specific library of Visual C++ in order to run so I think your chances will be slim.

PTC already has retired Motion. Starting with Wildfire 3.0 you will not get MECHANICA Motion anymore, all customers with active maintenance on Motion have been provided with a upgrade possibility (1-2 years ago) to MDO. WF 2.0 is the last release with MECHANICA Motion still present, both in integrated and stand alone mode. Looking at the functionality and ease of use of MDO and knowing some of the pittfalls of Motion I would not bother with Motion too long. One of the major things lacking in MDO is 3D contact which will eventuallyappear in MDO also (WF 4.0 or 5.0). This was available in Motion but really tricky to use...

Victor

Remmerv,

Good info you have provided. By the way when is WF 3.0 production release coming?

We are anxious to have it with us.

Israr

... and modeling contacts and compliant cams is exactly what I'm after! And flexible beams!

The issue that I have with MDO is that if I define a cam over a profile comprising several arcs representing a chain wheel outline, the cam will not follow the profile properly. In Motion you won't see such behavior, plus you can control cam smoothing. Even more, the contact model for cams in MDO is based on a coefficient of restitution rather that an impact (contact stiffness and damping). Again Motion seems to approach this in a better way.

Also defining custom loads seems cumbersome, since you have do use Pro/Toolkit.

These being said I can only tell that I really regret that Pro/Mechanica Motionis discontinued before MDO reaches a decent level of complexity, and my approach from now on is to look into some other dynamic simulation software, most likely ADAMS/View.

Thanks foryour input,

Lucian

lbotez,

I fully agree with you. I already have shifted to using ADAMS/View with Mech/PRO . ProSIM of SIMPACK is also very useful.

Since ptc is retiring Mechanica they are not improving it and MDO is not mature.

Israr

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back