Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Buying Software Maintenance

biff

Does anyone know if there are any regulations stipulating that you must buy software from your native countries resellers?

As I'm sure many know, in Britain we have a rip off culture full stop where business is concerned so to be able to shop around for maintenance would be good.

Hi biff.

I seem to remember that within the EU there was an attempt to allow "free trade" across countries, but then of course the UK isn't fully signed up. The issue with PTC is that they don't allow license files to be generated globally - and as the site license is regional, so the maintenance support is also regional.

We have American owners, so with the very favourable exchange rate, I tried to switch to paying in US dollars at the Houston rates - but this wasn't allowed, as the site of the license is in the UK.

The best I managed was to approach the various resellers in the UK - there are quite a few now, all wanting your business, and negotiating with them on the maintenance price. But it is still way higher than the US cost. Especially since I bought some more products from them, newly added to the PTC "family" (IsoDraw & MathCAD).

We only have4 seats of Pro/E, so our bargaining powers aren't too good to start with....

Good luck.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back