Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

BOM Relations

delia0027

Okay, I've been going at this for hours now and I’m having no luck. Hopefully someone on here has had a similar issue and can help…

[Background Info]
We add “_bulk” to bulk item part numbers to differentiate them from actual parts.
For example, if we have part number “AB1234” the bulk item version of this (if necessary) is “AB1234_BULK”

[Issue]
The issue is when populating the BOM, “AB1234_BULK” appears as the part number (asm.mbr.name) for the bulk items and we only want it to display “AB1234”.

I created a relation in the bulk part itself which creates a parameter that truncates anything containing “_bulk”. So, out of the box, the bulk item “AB1234_BULK” contains a parameter named “bulkname” that automatically generates the value “AB1234”.

Next, in the assembly BOM relations, I simply want to write a relation that replaces “asm_mbr_name” with “asm_mbr_bulkname” whenever it sees “_bulk” as a value. Is this possible?

Currently, my BOM relations are as follows:

if asm_mbr_name=="_bulk"
asm_mbr_name=asm_mbr_bulkname
else
asm_mbr_name=asm_mbr_name
endif

But, I get absolutely no change to the BOM when doing this, or when trying anything for that matter... it just stays the same as if I did nothing.
Is there a symbol for “contains” as opposed to “equal to”?
How would I go about this?

I am a novice at relations so the more in layman's terms he better.
Thanks in advance.

HERE IS MINE TO REMOVE THE 1ST SEVEN DIGITS OF THE FILE NAME

my part is named (f76123_part.prt) with this relation the BOM will show "part" as the name
<(bom_name) this is on the parts parameters page>

/* These three relations truncate the first 7 digits off the
/* model name and store the result in the bom_name parameter.
/* The relations are required for tool design use only.
temp = rel_model_name + " "
end = search(temp," ")
bom_name = extract(temp,8,end-8)

I assume that the BOM you are referring to is what appears in your drawing.
You will need to change your BOM to use your parameter rather than asm_mbr_name
As an example, my BOM uses a parameter for part number called pn, so in my table, instead of asm_mbr_name, I have &asm.mbr.pn. So on yours use &asm.mbr.bulkname

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back