Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

BOM balloons not appearing

tjallen29

I'm using WF2.0, and I have an assembly that contains two different parts (different file names), but they are essentially the same part, justin different configurations (ie. tubing at different lengths, curved different ways, etc.). Consequently they share parameters such as Description and P/N, since they are the same part in real world terms.

The problem I'm having is that in the BOM, the two parts are combined into one entry (since they share the parameters that the BOM uses), as I would expect to see happen,but when I go to balloon the assembly, no balloon appears for either part. I could understand just one balloon appearing, but I'm getting nothing at all for those parts.

In a related problem, I've never been able to get a part to balloon if it has flexibility. Is this so-called "intended functionality" as PTC would call it?

Anyone seen this before? Thanks for the help!

Yeah, it is frustrating and we have the same thing. You have 3 options as I see it

A slight change in the parameters to separate them ( like P/N= 123 and P/N=132. ). After this you get separate lines and can add balloons. I know, I know, it will be different numbers in the rpt.index attribute, but this is as close as you can get with this method.

If you do not want to separate the lines, you can add a balloon note with the index. This is a bit "dangerous" as you can not fix the index of the collapsed rows in your repeat region.

Use assembly feature parameters (cparams) and assign attributes on the link onthe problemcomponents. In the repeat region you would have to add a relation like ("yourparam" is the assembly feature parameter or "cparam"):

if exists ("ASM_MBR_CPARAM_YOURPARAM")
newindex=asm_mbr_cparam_yourparam
else
newindex=rpt_index
endif

Add the repeat region parameter: &rpt.rel.newindex to the table and then change the displayed parameter in the balloons to the rpt.rel.newindex. Finish off by deleting the column with the rpt.index in it. I just tried it and you can call out balloons with the same "index" for totally different models using this method.

Hi,

Could you go method 1 and say for the one part P/N 123, and for the other P/N 123_?

That seems the simplest.

Sip

I made a typing misstak, in example 1 it should be 123 and 123. (the dot beeing the only thing that separates the two) and by saying that, yes, the 123_ would work the same way.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back