Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

BOM Balloons for Multiple Configurations

crposey

Hi,

I have a question about BOM Balloons..

We use Wildfire 4.0 and we have many drawings which represent assemblies with multiple instances. We are trying to do something different with our BOM tables and are struggling to make it work.

One particular drawing we are working on represents an assembly which has two instances, which are identical save for a single part which exists in one instance of the assembly and not the other.

We are trying to create a BOM table which has two Quantity columns in order to be able to differentiate the two instances of the assembly at a glance.

We have tried inserting a column, setting it up as a rpt.qty column and assigning it to the secondary instance of the assembly, and this does exactly what we want it to do with regard to the table itself. However, whenever we do this, the BOM ballons vanish and they will not re-populate.

Is there a workaround for this, or at any rate a way to automatically populate BOM balloons with this multiple configuration BOM table?

Thanks,

I don't have an answer but when you get it working, please post the solution. I worked on this for a while and finally gave up. We just have multiple repeat regions sitting off to the side of the format. Gotta keep all item numbers fixed and in sync so the balloons are correct. Its a pain but functional.

See my post here it maybe of some use to you.

Link

One more thought, balloons are becoming less valuable , with the use of other methods to communicate these days . We have 3d model with annotations etc. I would review your return on investment. Just a thought.

Thanks for the info, Mike!

So to make sure I understand correctly, the basic idea is to create a parameter in the part files for the item number on the BOM table, then create a custom balloon in the drawing which uses that parameter, such that we circumvent the BOM balloons blowing up at multiple quantity columns in a single table.

Is there a way to make the table arrange parts in ascending numerical order by that custom parameter?

The drawings in question are to be used by fabricators in-house who are accustomed to seeing hard copies of traditional 3-view drawings with an isometric view used as an accessory to the BOM table, so while I certainly appreciate the fact that better mousetraps exist, for our purposes sticking with the balloons is likely our best course of action.

Is there a way to make the
table arrange parts in ascending numerical order by that custom parameter?

To make the tables "arrange" or sort, you would just use

Table, repeat regions, sort regions, than pick the detail number column.

Could you try to PM me, to test if it works on this site? I have not been able
to get it to work. Thanks.

Good Luck!

MC

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back