Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Best Practice

Broedsgaard

Hi All,

Is there a best practice in building up parts in Pro-E? I'm thinking how should the model tree look like when the part is done and so on.

I'm having some ideas my self but would very much hear from you, thanks.

very long topic regarding the scope of points to discuss

hence, there is not that much on the net to read about, no in one place. So, before we dive into rich and intresting discussion I would like to start with Master model technique and related to it Horizontal modeling approach.

I will take advantage of the fact someone laid some fundations of this topic before - please check Dezignstuff Solidworks blog - http://www.dezignstuff.com/blog/?p=3993

there is a document to download regarding Horizontal modeling

The main concept in the structure of a feature is deciding on it's dependency. If I want to reduce the structure of dependency, I tend to use earlier features (default datums, first feature, etc.) to which thefeature is related. As discussed in the dezignstuff blog, this makes the feature less likely to fail when another feature fails. This alsoallows the reorder of features, if desired.

Be careful with the features selected in setting up the sketch. Features used to orient the sketch are parents. If a feature is selected to locate a dimension, this feature is a parent. If you decide to dimenson from a different feature, make sure you delete the highlighted feature to eliminate this dependency.

In discussing the deleted dimension in the sketch, I want to clarify what I'm telling you to delete. If you dimension from an edge and want to change to a different reference, you delete the dimension and create the new one. However, the feature used to create the dimension that was deleted is still highlighted. This must also be deleted to relieve this dependency.

ProE deletes unnecessary sketcher references when the feature is created, you can see it in the reference viewer. But you are right, sketch orientation is a reference which is often forgotten.
Reinhard

Thanks a lot all of you, I have desided to use the information That you have been given me and then som and write a "Best Practice guide" my self.

Br.

Broedsgaard

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back