Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Belt drive

deepak0132002

I have an assembly in which i use gears, belt drives.
I need to perform motion analysis for this.
Is there any option so that I can simulate belt drives and get the output velocities,
as in gear analysis we can give gear connection but i am not finding any belt connections.
Is there any way to do this?

image015.jpg

Hi,

For simulation of belt's transmission you can use same tool like for gear. Just you need change thedirection of rotationfor joint axis of gear2. Push thebutton on rightside of joint axis.(see pic. above).Rotations of gear1 and gear 2 will be in same direction like belt's wheels. This way does not alowed belt's motion simulation. Belt will be statical. Belt's motion simulation technique is very time consuming.

Good luck,

SlavoM

But this works same as gear only, there will be no slip as it happens practically.But is it recommended to do analysis as you said? will the results match practically?

It is the same situation as with gearpair, which is ideal too. Ideal means without contact forces and without backlas for gears, only motion traslation between two parts (gears, pulleis) and axial torques. You must answer yourself, how much you need interest about slip in your concrete mechanism. In many situations slip can be neglected (teeth belt, V belt in general) but another is when slipis used as an insurence to overload. There is only one toolfor direct slip indication in MDO. Cam - follower!!! I sawa simulation of chain transmission with using many cam-follower conections but I think that it isn't way for belts...

Maybe some comination of complex customer measures with force/torque or custom load...

Hi deepak0132002,

I have simulated belts in the past with a combination of velocity measures, torque measures, and force motors. Create velocity measures on the pulleys (driving and driven) and create a force motor on the driven pulley. The force motor will be conditional and use a ramp force to match the velocities as required. i.e. apply more force to speed up the pulley if it is going too slow and apply less force (or zero or negative) if the pulley is going too fast. You can also use a velocity measure to have a speed limiter or a torque measure to have a torque limiter. i.e. force motor cuts out when measures have been exceeded. (MDO rocks!)

Hope that helps. I can provide more details if required.

Ray.
---
Ray Miya

In my opinion SlavoM is right. Actually ptc MDO/MDX has limitations and you can't compare it with ADAMS, SIMPACK, or LMS DADS. These are dedicated softwares.

But on the other ProE has mechanism design modules just fo the design of mechanical assemblies where you can check interference, space interaction, space optimisation like things. Ofcourse MDO helps in force transfer to Mechanica as well.

But if you need to go into much depth of mechanism itself then you need dedicated software.

Israr

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back