Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

basic layer question

2ms1

How do I take a part with a billion datums on it, hide
all of those datum (planes mostly), and then be able to
create new datums with only them showing?

That one thing would be so useful to me.

<rant>I know this is so basic. I just haven't gotten
layers yet. Haven't been able to find any tutorials
that really made them click for me. When I try to do
even the most basic things they don't work. For
example, when I switch from model tree view to layer
tree view and right click on the layer "01_ALL_DTM_PLN"
and select the option to hide, the layer goes black in
the layer tree but no datum planes get hidden at all.
My intuitive notion of how these things should work just
seems to be wrong. </rant>

Datums by default Pro/E setup automatically fall onto a specific layer called 03___PRT_ALL_CURVES layer. So rename the current datum layer to 03___PRT_THE-LAID-OFF-GUY_CURVES .... create a new 03___PRT_ALL_CURVES datum and wa-la! all the new datums you create will automatically default to the new layer.

I found that if I hid the layer "01__PRT_ALL_DTM_PLN" then the billion datum planes disappear. So I kept it hidden and renamed it "01_LAID_OFF_PRT_ALL_DTM_PLN". Then I created a new "01__PRT_ALL_DTM_PLN" and left it unhidden.

The problem is that now I try to create new (to be kept visible) datum planes, but whenever I create them they become invisible as soon as I hit OK and they switch from being preview to actually being created. So they must not be going to the new layer. I did "Activate" to the new "01__PRT_ALL_DTM_PLN" but no different results.

What am I doing wrong?

Nevermind.

I was being stupid in last post. I'm in an assembly and I needed to unhide 01__ASM_ALL_DTM_PLN.

Thanks for the advice. This works great
smiley1.gif

simply renaming the layer would not help you from the new planes falling in to the old layer, this is due to the RULES set for the default layers!

check the RULES tab beneath the CONTENTS tab on the layer properties dialog box.

you should either clear the RULES or modify to suit your needs

I find that the default layering scheme to be ridiculous and confusing. Lots of layers with similar names and nested. I've never understood it.

Look up a post by Glenn Beer her called 'Mastering Layers' or something. He gave a presentation (attached in that thread) on layers at PTC|User in 2007 that was eye opening.

Everybody really needs to learn how to use the Isolate layer status.

I know I'm going to regret trying to be brief.

1) hide all the layers.
1b) use isolate to bring back anything that needs to be seen.
2) create a new layer (x-planes)
3) isolate that layer
4) make that layer active, new features are placed on the layer. (not just planes)
4b) do your work.
5) deactivate and clean up the contents of the new layer.

In this case, isolate is being used to force visibility of new datums, even when other hidden layers with rules, would cause those new datums to vanish.

Glenn Beer

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back