Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

autosave

sadrok

Is there or will there ever be an autosave feature in Pro? I am in the habit of hitting my "SV" mapkey everytime I exhale but I was talking to someone I work with and he lost about 1-1/2 hrs work because he hadn't saved.

Not sure about auto save ETA. I seem to recall some thing about later releases of Pro/E having a message that could be settelling you to save. I still on WF2 with no option even for a meassage.

If you associate got so much done in 1-1/2 hours that he cannot bare the loss; he should be able toedit the trail file to his last non-auto save and re-run it.

later Jim

Miracles do happen. I worked about 4-6 hours overtime one Saturday a few years back only to realize I had not saved the whole day. Fortunately the trail file ran without any errors and saved my hide. I have never had such luck with trail files since. As I have and will tell any trainees, if you even think about saving, do it. Go to lunch, save. Go to the washroom, save

I think all of have been burned by not having saved and experienced a core dump, power outage or ???

One nice thing is I noticed is the repeat of work I just performed sure seems to go faster.
smiley17.gif

mneal-

I agree! My re-work time is 50% less than the original. Unstable software, ghosts in the machine & mother nature have the odds stacked against us.

_TL_-

thanks for the link. Is there anyone else using this with good results?

k

I've set the option so Pro/E saves a backup to disk when it regens, is it possible to recover this after a crash?

Sam

There are times that I definitely don't want an auto save function. If I've pulled up a big assembly & just doing some "what if" brainstorming with some other engineers, the last thing I want is for the software to automatically start changing what is on disk. With Pro/E's versioned file system it would be pretty tricky to get it to "undo" an autosave into multiple directories.

Our Pro/E system is pretty stable. We don't seem to have the same problem with crashing that other people have. We only use PTC certified hardware. I keep the systems pretty locked down, no auto updates, no google toolbars, etc. Only use mature Pro/E releases.

dr_g

I see your point on autosave with largefiles & various file versions. You have me curious as to what controls you've put on your systems to keep them stable.At work, I have two copies of pro/ewith the license on a server & I'm still getting freezes & crashes. Everything, hardware wise, is PTC approved. I'm going to guess & say that by "mature pro/e releases" you mean versions that have been out awhile with current updates? Which leads me to ask how do you handle new releases/updates? You don't install new releases as they come out until there are updates? What's your"it's ready to install" point? Like I said, just curious.

The reason I ask is that I'd like to purchase pro/e & inventor (yes, I know, I've read some of your other posts) & go contract from home. Home for me being the New England area. Stability isone of mygreater concerns. If I can't get stabilityon someone else's dime, what's the point of me going "independant"on my own???? More curiousness...

Since the CAD systems sit behind a relatively secure corporate firewall I don't do automatic OS updates. Once it's setup & working don't change it! I don't run firewalls on the workstations. I do run virus scanning software because of corporate policy, otherwise I would not. The workstations run Windoze XP SP3, the server is still running Windoze 2000. I only install Pro/E on the server, just add a shortcut on the users desktop to the executable. We are using Pro/E WF2 M280. I'm considering WF4 M100 but I'm not sure WF4 is quite ready yet. I load lots of builds but rarely switch to a new one, maybe once a year & I skip at least every other major release. There is just too much pain & too little gain to run the latest & greatest.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back