Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Autodesk Inventor

from those pics it is visible Inventor tries to mimic Catia interface, at least its "model tree" layouts looks like they try.

In general - out of any comments regarding funcionality - I feel personaly sad that even Inventor tries to seek new kind of interface, while the Pro/E is left with old timer dasboard solution and ordered feature list within its type of model tree.

I saw fresh examples of direct modeling funcionality at PTC conference for polish users. Suppose among all software it is going to look and work same. I am only afraid Pro/E will be the last one to be delivered with it.

I miss what exactly PTC is trying to introduce within incoming few years regarding specialy interface. There is no picture user can feel confident with to expect in future.

Should we wait couple of incoming releases with a minor changes till PTC put everything upside down introducing whole new kernel built from scratch, with no asscoiative work regarding past releases as it was done by Dessault with Catia5 to get really out of Unix environmnet style ?

Hate to say this but we are actually taking a look at inventor for a portion of our mcad models. Sales models for customer drawings. The thought is lighter models and smaller data footprint than the pro/e mess we have now. I'd love for you to talk me out of it. Have not really takem a look at inventor yet, but it is starting to be talked about seriously.

I would quit if I worked at a company who let loose to inventor. Not sure what exact page I was looking to post up top there.... Was a cool image that bled opacity to transparent.

As far as interface goes... too much dashboard is not a good thing. And the Microsoft interface initiative is not as forward as the developers like to think. To me is is reactive innovation as opposed to research oriented innovation if that makes since. Reactive to what apple has matured to. My speculation could be wrong but it seams the CAD developers like to develop w/ respect to the Microsoft initiative which is why Pro/E looks so darn similar to solidworks these days.

Tobias... i went out with Olaf Corten from the Netherlands while at PTCUSER conference in Orlando. I kept him laughing the entire dinner/drinks out one night.
Edited by: design-engine

FishNut:

At a previous position we used both Inventor and Pro/E. Inventor files for the same assemblies and parts took much longer to load and regenerate. The assemblies were rather large, and Inventor just choked on them.

YMMV

design-engine said:
As far as interface goes... too much dashboard is not a good thing. And the Microsoft interface initiative is not as forward as the developers like to think.

You are probably right about the dashboard (I'd like to have more context menus and dashboard together) and I completely agree about the "microsoft" interface. I especially don't like the ribbon interface in IE5, I mean, it's completely "modal" (in the first panel you can only manipulate views, in the second panel move and add annotation) and I thought I was going to forget modal interfaces in 2009 :/

I hope they change it A LOT before releasing the product.

Paolo

PS: That said, all this hype for direct modeling integrations leaves me quite cold, I don't see it as a big plus for me, for my way of work, but it is probably good for someone else :)

design-engine said:
Tobias... i went out with Olaf Corten from the Netherlands while at PTCUSER conference in Orlando. I kept him laughing the entire dinner/drinks out one night.

haha, sweet! i

Thanks mardeb. We have not actually run inventor yet, just feeding off of autodesk people themselves. Everyone likes to slam Pro/E and heavy and slow, but lets see your stuff do the same thing.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back