Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Associative bom table to excel

jbuckl

I havean assembly drawing with a table showing all the part info, like a b.o.m.

How can i export this table as an excel file ( or import it to excel)

pretty sure this info is here but my search didnt work

Thanks

Jbuckl
Edited by: jbuckl

The way i do it (and i'm sure some dork will bite my head off!
smiley17.gif
) I save the table as a text file. open a new excel work sheet and excel will walk you thru setting up the columns and such.

Hi Jelston, thanks for the reply.

I managed to get a sensible looking excel sheet of the bom, and found a similar thread.

The thread advised using the intralink report because the configuration is editable, it did give a better result than the pro-e bom.

The icing on the cake would be a associative / parametric excel bom.

I suspect a bolt in package would be required......anybody know how an associative excel bom can be created?

Hello,

The best option I found in Proe Wf3is the next:

First select the table: click on the table, then go to menu "table"-->select-->table

then go to "table" menu--> save table-->CSV file

Using the explorer of your computer, search your xxxx.csv.1 file, and modify theextension as a .txt: p.ex: xxxx.csv.1-->xxxx.txt (accept the advertising of windows)

then open microsoft excel, and then: file-->open your xxxx.txt

press next, select only "comma" and you will have a perfect document!!

I supose it will runs! good luck!
smiley2.gif

Ferran

Thanks Ferran,

Im on WF2 but I'll try that anyway. Not sure csv is an option in WF2!! (
smiley36.gif
)

Does it stay associative by the way?

hey jbuckl!

In Wf2 the option csv doesn't exist,
smiley19.gif

in WF2 you can only safe as a txt, it means that you need to add columns in your table:

after each parameter columnadd a column that contains a comma.

name/comma/qty/comma/description/comma

it will suplies the CSV of WF3...

A bad thing is that the export to an excel is not associative... you have to doa newexcel each time you change the table of the drawing... I'm sorry
smiley11.gif

See you!

Ferran

Pro/E doesn't have excel associativity with excel in the base package, you can buy nitro-bom for about $4 grand. Solidworks, however, does have excel associativity.
smiley18.gif

fselga said:
Hello,

The best option I found in Proe Wf3is the next:

First select the table: click on the table, then go to menu "table"-->select-->table

then go to "table" menu--> save table-->CSV file

Using the explorer of your computer, search your xxxx.csv.1 file, and modify theextension as a .txt: p.ex: xxxx.csv.1-->xxxx.txt (accept the advertising of windows)

then open microsoft excel, and then: file-->open your xxxx.txt

press next, select only "comma" and you will have a perfect document!!

I supose it will runs! good luck!
smiley2.gif

Ferran

I stand corrected, comma delimited works beautifully!

jbuckl said:
Ps Soiledworks probably needs excel!

Actually, Pro/E desparately needs excel. Have you tried to enter data in the pattern table? It takes for freakin ever. The beautiful about SW (and the thing that sux about Pro) is it is completely windows based.

We don't really need excel in my case just the pms think so....I prefer the controlling document to be the drawing in most cases.

'Pasting' outa bom kills the associativity and thats what I wanted to get around, but then they'd probably want the controlling doc to be excel...not good
smiley36.gif

With every cad system i worked with there is stuff that cant be modelled.....except Pro-E... its just a shame its marketed by people who .....well I'msure you know where that was going.

The other beautiful thing about most other cads systems is the (commensurate) low price

These articles discuss a (free) Pro/WebLink program that can create a drawing
table directly from selected data in Excel, and vice versa. Part 1 discusses
transfers from Excel to a Pro/Engineer table, while part 2 discusses transfers
in the other direction.

[url]http://inversionconsulting.blogspot.com/2008/06/weblink-exce l-to-proe-drw-tables-part-1.html [/url]
[url]http://inversionconsulting.blogspot.com/2008/06/weblink-exce l-to-proe-drw-tables-part-2.html [/url]

No CSV files (or any other external files) to worry about. Direct transfer of
data between Pro/Engineer and Excel. Works in WF2 and most likely all Wildfire
versions.

Marc

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back