Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Assistance with ghosting?

goater

hello all, i am somewhat new to the firm i am working for and am facing this situation:

we use pro/e only very rarely, but it is still an imporant entity for us. it is version 2001. the license server is a 10 year old compaq running windows NT. there is only one other computer in the company that uses pro/e, which of course targets the NT license server. the license server is named GATES, so the pro/e computer targets 7788@GATES to connect and find the license file or whatever, 7788 being port im assuming?

realizing that the server will not last forever, we purchased an almost identical refurbished computer, a compaq SP750, only things different being the processor (faster by about 300mhz), hard drive (old pc used a scsi drive, this one is an IDE) and RAM. at least, off the top of my head those are the only physical hardware differences. the intent was to ghost the old server's HD to the new refub computer's HD and if anything in the old server died, just unplug the computer, set it off to the side, and plug in the new one and everything would be exactly the same since it is a ghosted hard drive.

well, the ghost worked fine, pc booted up and all that jazz.

however, when i try to get the user's computer to connect, it comes up with the error "no server for this feature" and it is targeting "7788@gates" and the next line says "Displaying status for license file: 9018dfs6k064"

when i try to run PRO/E on the license server computer, however, it says almost exactly the same thing, except it says: "no server for this feature" and it is targeting "7788@9018dfs6k064" and the
next line says "Displaying status for license file: 9018dfs6k064"

the computers are of course using the same IP address (they are not conflicting, because i unplug them when i switch to another computer, there are no ip conflicts whatsoever), and they can both see each other on the windows network, you can move files back and forth and whatnot. all mapped drives work. i even went so far as to spoof the mac address of the old server to the new computer but that did not work.

of interest to note, when you use the new computer's HD in the old computer, it works PERFECTLY. that leads me to believe there is some kind of hardware lock somewhere the license file that it checks for specific hardware to be present at time of license file creation?

what do you guys think i should do to get this to work? am i right there is some kind of hardware checking going on? if not, whats up?

thanks again...

The license file looks to the CPUID which comes from the network card. Swap the NIC from the old PC to the new and it should work fine.

Then you're going to have an issue. I think I heard at one time that even folks off of maintenance can get a new license file for situations like yours - a server swap. Might be worth a call to PTC.

If they'll do it, I'd get a cheap add on NIC first and us it.

sweet thank you very much i will do just that and give them a call. do i just reference the fact i dont have a current support license number ?

You can move your license from machine to machine even
if off maintenance. If you are on maintenance you can
do it online, if you are not, like in your case, you
must call in to PTC, and they will send you the correct
license file for your new machine.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back