Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Assigning weight to an assembly

jusford

Hi all. I'm working with a sub-assembly that doesn't have all the correct mass properties assigned to parts. I have the actuall assembly and can weigh it to obtain the correct weight. Does anyone know how I can assign that weight to the assembly so that I can calculate the total mass of the top level. Thanks

Justin

In your sub-assembly:

Setup->Mass Props

Under Source :Select Geometry and Parameters
Then Under actions click on edit
Enter your mass for that subassembly.
Click Ok

Now in your top level assembly
Setup->Mass Props
Again select Geometry and Parameters as Source

Click on generate report.

For the sub assemblies or parts that have an assigned mass it will ask you if you want to Assign or calculate. Make sure assign is checked.
Now it will generate the total mass of you assembly using your assigned values.

Make sure your units are consistent.

In the top level assembly you can also use Analysis->Model->Mass Properties, select assigned and then click on the eyeglasses.

I prefer the one under setup as I find it easier to read.

Tobyk

If you have a materilas library just go setup/material/assign and navigate till you find the proper mat. If you don't have mat. lab., you can do it manualy just find the right density and go setup/massprop then just type in the density. and ofcourse generate report. I always do it part by part for better accurasy.

Now if you whant to show in the part or assy dwg. just write a note like mass_prop=&mass_prop lbs or something like that. Just let me now if it doesn't work. O by the way you can add it to your b.o.m. as well.
smiley2.gif

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back