Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Apple/Mac running dual operating systems

jill.daniel

Is anyone running Pro E on a Mac yet? I bought a Macbook Pro las august. I am looking to install Parallels 3.0 and Windows vista Ultimate on it. I am not sure if anyone else has done this. I have 2 Gig hard drive, but am worried about running the parallels software, 2 operating systems, and Pro E.

Does anyone have any opinions or insights?

I have a Mac pro and currently using Parallels to run XP and Ubuntu. I'm not running Pro/E. I don't think the technology is there yet. The support for better graphics performance is still catching up.

Your best bet is to just use BootCamp and install vista native to the machine. When you boot, the mac will ask you what OS you want to run. This way, you'll get the performance needed.

Another thing, Pro/E runs on Unix and so does the Mac OS. Why wouldn't there be a Mac version of Pro/E I wonder? mmmmm wierd.

Thanks for your advice! I think I will go that route. I Have Tiger OS, but I read that the new Leopard includes BootCamp software. So I will upgrade to the Leopard and then install windows Vista.

Thanks again for your help.

(to correct my first posting, I have 2 Gig of Memory... I have 150 Gig Hard dive. :)

You can get BootCamp for Tiger as well. I believe it's still free, not sure. I need to get Leopard myself, I just have a hard time switching when Tiger runs so good.

I figured you meant 2 gig of ram or Apple is getting real cheap.

I just looked at the apple website and it looks like the free version was a beta program and that they discontinued the offer when Leopard came out. Unless you know of a place where i can still get it for free, I will bite the bullet and upgrade. It is silly but the new browsing features in Leopard are really appealing to me anyways :)

Ok at Apple ... Industrial Designers use Alias ... engineers use Unigrahics and Pro/E both. I got this off another forum.

Edited by: design-engine

I have been doing some rendering of design concepts within a scene scenario and I have been using Pro/E to model and Blender to render. I really like Blender and you can't beat the price, (freeeeeeeee).

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back