Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

analysis features

dakeb

Hi,

I have a model of a spring with the parameter
"installed_length". In the assembly I have assembled it
as a flexible feature and I can modify the parameter to a
new value ok.

However, If I move some parts the spring length has to
also change and I want it to automatically update.

I thought I could do this by use of an anaylsis feature
that automatically updates.

Trouble is, I can't seem to find a way of putting the
output of the analysis feature into the Parameter of the
flexible spring.

Ideas?

Thanks

Dave
Edited by: dakeb

Hi Dave,
The syntax for putting analysis features in relations:-

parameter_name:FID_analysis_feature_name

For example, if you were using the length from Analysis feature with name in tree Analysis1, syntax to include that value in relations would be:

length:FID_Analysis1

Sachin,

Have you ever used an analysis featureto modifya flexible component? I cant seem to get it to work.

Thanks

Dave

Sachin,

hmmm yes itworks but you have to create a driving dimension in the part and modify that in the flexible feature.

The partI have doesnt have a driving dimension, it has a parameter that normally would be input into the part manually. it uses that parameter to calculate relations that drive other groups of dimensions to create the part.

In order to drive those relations from a dimension instead of a parameter I have tocreate a new feature in the original part that contains the driving dimension that in turn modifies the parameter.

I can do it that way and make it work.I can even create the distance within the flexible definition by changing the way it calculates it from "value" to "distance", so it doesnt even need an external analysis feature.

What I was hoping for though is to change the flexible length by modfiying the part parameter (not a dimension) in the flexible definition at assembly level. I notice there is a "parameter" tab when you define the flexibility, but I cant get that to work.

cheers

Dave

you can do the way you want
create parameter you required and put relation to link it to dimension.
There is no need to make it flexible..you can put relation in asm to adjust length.

If you could send asm with requirement, I will show you.

Yes I realise there are a number of ways of doing this, but I am trying to figure out a way of doing it when the input into the part isn't a dimension, but a parameter.

I suppose what I'm asking is what does the Parameter tab actually do in the Flexible component dialogue?

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back