Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

alternate iso view orientations

dirtbikes987

At work (WF4) we have a bunch of predetermined iso views (TFL, TFR, TBL, TBR, BFL, BFR, BBL, BBR) that are already saved in our start parts. I'm working on Creo2 at home and want to have the same capability but I do not know how to go about it. What is the easist way to go about this. Any help would be appreciated. thanks.

You have to save those named views in you start part/assy (templates). Then every new part made from the templates will have them.

thanks, I got that. What I want to know is what are the angles that I need to type in for those views. I was able to get all of the top views but I'm struggling being able to figure out what all of the XYZ angles need to be in order to get a bottom/back/left view as well as the other 3.

Admins. will it or is it possible to use [color red] or hexadecimal [color FFFFFF]?

dirtbikes987

Dan, dr_gallup is correct but may have missed that you said Home Edition. Is it a professional duplicate copy like SolidWorks gives it's users or a student edition. I'm figuring the latter.

If you are using the Student edition You will be unable to open the Professional Version files to get those views. If you do run a Pro Version by logging into your server you can copy an empty work start part to flash drive and open and resave as '0_Start_Home_With_Default_Views.prt' 31 characters don't need to count them should work even in WF5.0

Wildfire 5.0 and all earlier versions won't allow part names to start with a number or contain spaces in them as you know so you may have to eliminate it.

To go about getting these views on your own, set your default view type to Isometric if you haven't already. Then you can go to the View Orientations dialog and switch the spin mode from the
Default spin mode = (left icon)
Ha,Va,Na (HorizAxis, VertAxis, NormalAxis) Spin Directions
to the
Triad option = (right icon)
Ra,Ga,Cy (RedAxis, Green Axis, Cyan Axis) which sets the spin sliders to use the triad axial directions for the spin values.

Go To your Default View direction and use 90, 180, 270(-90) as your spin Values to achieve your AutoCadesque FTR BTL LFT etc. views.

Happy New Year and pre New Month :)
Michael Cole
"I will follow (traj par, mc SldWrx 2008)" for Creo & SolidWorks

PS: "Why is there no traj birdie?" (Golf Humor) from a non golfer. heh I'm such a tw1t 3rror

Last edited:
thanks for the reply guys.

yes, I have a student version at home therefore I can't use the start part from my work.

I did see that Wiki link before and got scared when I saw the formulas. I graduated from college 15 years, I don't do formulas anymore :)

I knew about the spin settings for the view orients and played around a little bit before I did the post. I found the following:

X,Y,Z settings

TFR=0,0,0
TFL=0,90,0
TBR=0,-90,0
TBL=0,180,0

The bottom oriented views are the tricky ones. I haven't had time to play with it but I don't think (based off of playing before and what the formula says from wikipedia) that the bottom views are not based off of 30 or 45 degree angle.

If I get it figured out I'll post the results.

Here is how I figured out how to get my 8 iso views.

Tops are listed in the above post

Bottoms
switch to HVC orientation mode and from the similar top orientation, switch H by -70.528.

So to get BFR, start with TFR and adjust H by -70.528
to get BFL, start with TFL and adjust and so on for the other two views.

Last edited:
I think, you first must start with turning 45° around vertical direction and then 35.264° around horizontal direction.
For your interrest: The exact value of 35.264° is arcsin(tan(30°)).

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back