Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

A Marketing Idea For PTC

I don't know CoCreate at all, just browsed through some docs, but I can't see how one could achive a top-down approach. But I think PTC are spot on when it comes to what is essential when evaluating any cad system. Below is a cut'n'paste from mgnt8's link and the key sentence is highlightet in red.

Many companies often discover that the SolidWorks, Solid Edge or Inventor application they

I noticed that design-engine didn't even mention training in his ratings, and gave 'Help' a weighting of just 1 percent. Obviously these aren't areas that he considers important.

It seems that some of the long-time users of Pro/E commenting here are missing some of the fundamental aspects of what software is: all software, not just CAD software. Software is a productivity tool. By definition, fundamental cornerstones of software quality include ease of training and ease of use. But users who have years of experience with the same software (and haven't learned to use any other, esp. of that type) seem to forget about the learning curve, and are ignorant of what the competition has to offer because of their limited personal experience.

Idon't thinkanyone can successfully argue that Pro/E is easier to learn or to use than any other CAD package. And I don't think anyonewill even suggestthat Pro/E has asuperior 'Help' system. But these are some of the most important factorsfor anyoneintent onadopting a new CAD package. If it takes six months to a year to get everyone up to speed in Pro/E but only two to three monthsfor it's competitors, this has to be a major consideration in the selection process for any company in the market for a CAD system. And I think those are pretty realistic numbers, based on my personal experience over the last twelve years or so, including Pro/E WF3 and SW 2009.

And while high-end CAD systems like CATIA may be well-suited to auto and aircraft manufacturers, most of use aren't doing anything that sophisticated. The difficulty of learning how to manipulate Bezier curves is of no value if your work doesn't involve surfacing. The ability to handle assemblies with thousands of parts is worthless if your product contains just a few hundred parts.

Mindripper, you make some good points. You and I have butted heads around here a lot, but I absolutely agree with you here. I will add something to it.

The learning curve is important, but ultimately the software has to work for you and do what you need it to. If it takes a few days, weeks, even months to get up to speed, that's trivial compared to the years that you'll spend using it. If you get up to speed quickly, but then spend years battling work arounds because it's not capable for what you need to do, that's worse.

I'd say that Pro|E succeeds and fails on this front. It's higher capabilities compared to other products (in my experience) make you able to accomplish more and it's modeling consistency give you higher confidence in the end result. However, the interface and workflow constantly throw roadblocks in your way as you do your work. Stopping to think about the context of the software so you know where he command is or how this function works unique to other parts of the software is crippling to productivity.

Getting up to speed quickly helps sell software, which, I guess is what PTC wants to do. However, a quick learning curve followed by years of frustration gives a company a bad reputation and that reputation hurts sales too.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back