Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Enter and play rules

Speling

Suggestions for rules

User can enter competition ONLY by filing wish to be competitor.

In wish must be:

1. User real name, middle name etc, Country from where he is,

2. Version of ProEngineer he uses, and years of experience he has.

3. Personal acceptance that he will behaviour under
the terms of competition rules and general rules of this forum.

Competition task and time for work will be unknown until the start of
competition, and it will not be something specific, but something like
this: That should be something found in the bathroom and can fit in 2
foot cube (translated in mm and inch in case of European competitors).

Decision about task and time is obligation of committee

Hi Speling.

I'm not sure we need all of theie personal data - if they are a member of MCADcentral then I assume Jason has this data and it's easily accessible? I'm assuming that they must log in to enter the competition?

As for the top/side/front views.. I cannot agree that this is enough.. especially if we are goig to be dealing with surface models.. you need to be able to spin the model and see how teh light reflects - pick up the flaws - you cannot judge the model by a picture - same as you cannot judge a book by its cover!

Uploading the model is no big deal! I assume logistically Jason cansimply increase the upload limit for entries in a specific forum? I know youare a little concerned aboutPTC finding models created bu unlicenced software but IMHO - I think they will have bigger fish to fry!also we do not even know if theyhave this capability! oneof my friends used to work for tech suppport and said he knows nothing about it!

If they are studentedition models- these can be coverted at a local university (I'm back at mine about once a month and can do them then if needs be)

I can also offerto create eDrawings of them if required?

as for the two rendered images- one of the model and one of it in it's scene.. I thkn the latter is quite difficult to make is a requirement.. I think the perspective settings are not adaquate in ProE to match them to a photograph - and I dont think that anybodywillhave enough time to actually build a scene!

I also like the text submission idea - I think it shoud be a min of 400 charactrer instead tho'! you coudl include not just insporation for the idea but how the model was built?

Also not sure if this is the place to asy it but I see z-corp are a sponcer here on MCAD... maybe we coupla approach them to make a model of the winning model? they are always bragging about how quick and cheaply they make models.. might be a nice way for them to advertise?

eDrawings is simply a matter of openign the file in ProE and publishing it to eDrawing - maybe 2-3min each model assuming that layers and hidden items set up correctly.

I don't ahve the SE also, maybewe could buy one?

z-corp will simply recieve publicity! we can get a press release done up and release it in ProfilesMag.

uploadign the model for "final" is not a bad idea.. only for official judges - maybeif the submitter aggrees it can be uploaded freely? I must stress that I think all models should be submitted - it's the only way that everybody can learn from it. how many times have we seen somebody brag about doing something and ISRAR replies "please upload the model so we cn all learn from it" ? I really don;t think that we should worry about others using unlicenced software.. I don;t think that any of us can be held accountable for what others submit..

James

What is opinion about all others?

Is there point with filing personal data or no, which I suggest?

Is there opinion about suggested type and quantity materials (print screens)

In short:
Users must fill personal data, simply because we want to know who is behind nick (and in forum profile you can not fill your data if you wan to).
Nickname, real name, surname, country, ProE version, years of experience I think that is irrelevant (it matters only if there should be 2 category of competition; advanced and fundamental).

Uploading data
User must upload images of all 6 views (front, back, top, bottom, right, left), model (in native file, neutral or iges), 2 renders images, one with only a model, and second with model in room (room from photorender/photolux), text date; short description about model, how he modeled it etc.

About inspecting uploaded models
All uploaded models should be examined by committee, filtered good ones (quality modeling practice), and this good one could be offed to download and examining by other member of forum for learning purpose.

James good idea about making wining model. As for produced model it would be shipped to winner, with pedestal engravedwith McadCentral.

1. There will be request for model to be uploaded for
all competitions in whatever version they have been created.

2. There will be request for how to for competitors
model. These mean that for the beginning we will allowed (not other way
for the moment) all member to learn how somebody work out something
only from how to, which will also be graded. How that will be solved I
dont know now (that how to will be also time consuming)

3. Model will be available only to committee members
(for the beginning) because only they will be allowed to evaluate and
grade some specific features connected to that model.

4. Public voting will be limited only to some

Ok

Well I explore again all data connected to PTC awards and theirs competition.

I will try to put here almost all requests we already speak about.

This is as above, but improved

This must be considered as final except restrictions on model in wildfire 3.0 preproduction.

Israr

We have talk about web based 3d viewer and we decide to discontinue that idea.
Now I have preproduction of Wf 3

Ha SP looking good!
smiley20.gif
I have that T for 2004 and 2005!

Anyway, I think our chat last night battled out a few things- at least myself and Isair got our points accross.

I don;t think WF3.0 should be a problem - I've heard that there is a config there to let it them be opened in WF 2.0 - can anybody shed some light? to the best of my knowledge, it will come in with a full feature list and model tree with highlightable features but not editable- this should be good enough to investigate most things - anyway I think most of us (committee)have Wf 3.0 anyway!

I like the level of detail suggested above for submission. all looks good!

Jason -I wonder if you are familiar with the voting page for th PTC awards? it basically has a radio button beside each thumbnail image which you select to vote. the thunmbnail links to a larger image and some text - maybe we can put a link to the ProE model and a eDrawing of each entry?

I'm wondering how much effort would be required to create something similar? or are we expected to use the forum and poll?

James

Few notes to this:
Years of experience
If you work for lets say 10 years with ProE, and you mostly work like drafter, or in EFX, and you never model single model with ISDX, what information gives you that you have 10 y experience? It is irrelevant to competition. Maybe only for winners there should be more info and details.

Time for public voting
To short, remember not all 38k member come every day here, it must be a least one week or more.

Public voting
On what base member could vote? picture of Front, Top etc?

Available models for downloading
Why only first 3? why not first 5 or 10?

Rule no 5.
I would suggest that when uploading models all features must be suppressed, this way we would minimizes files sizes for uploading and downloading.

About 3D viewer
Spell you closed that topic so I must reply here. You mention ParallelGraphic and their web viewer. I think that this idea is good, because their plug in is free and everyone could download it and install it. ProE easily exports files to VRML, with more enchantments with few config.pro options. This could be added in rules that all participates must set those options and export to VRML, and save us a lot of time for exporting models.
Also this way we would popularize parallelgraphic free plug in and they could sponsor us in a favor.

Edited by: Isair

I was thinking that competition goal was to collect models that all can download them and learn from them??
And what from about 200 models there should be downloaded only 3? I see no point here.
Although I think that only best 10 should be downloaded with some sort manual how to model that model.

As for suppressed features I don't know, there might be problems, but then it is better to suppress all features and send models that are then few kb rather to downloading models that are several Mb big.

Instead of downloading all models for the first time people
will have How To-s. I am not against allowed downloading all models, but I
think we must talk more about that theme.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back