Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Web based 3d viewer

Speling

This is only one of idea I mention on .........

I suggest talk about implementation of web based 3d viewer

Hi Speling.

yeah we are looking at something like that for presentation work in teh office at the moment.. I think all views need to be renderend and published to a viewer for tis to work.. quite time consuming!

What about simple eDrawings? We use them in work with some considerable success!

Hi Speling,

Actify Spinfire would be the best if Administrator can talk to the concerned people.

Israr
Edited by: Israr

James and Israr

Thanks for posting here
smiley1.gif

Obviously you two knows more than me about this subject

Ok after speak with some members we come to this.

1. There will be request for model to be uploaded for
all competitions in whatever version they have been created.

2. There will be request for how to for competitors
model. These mean that for the beginning we will allowed (not other way
for the moment) all member to learn how somebody work out something
only from how to, which will also be graded. How that will be solved I
dont know now (that how to will be also time consuming)

3. Model will be available only to committee members
(for the beginning) because only they will be allowed to evaluate and
grade some specific features connected to that model.

4. Public voting will be limited only to some

Spel you mention ParallelGraphic and their web viewer. I think that this idea is good, because their plug in is free and everyone could download it and install it. ProE easily exports files to VRML, with more enchantments with few config.pro options. This could be added in rules that all participates must set those options and export to VRML, and save us a lot of time for exporting models.

Also this way we would popularize parallelgraphic free plug in and they could sponsor us in a favor.

I forget what was reason against that idea, and because of
those reasons and suggestions that we discontinue idea I closed topic

Hi James,

I use e-drawings on a regular basis for sales demonstrations. It's no good for large assemblies, but smaller ones and single parts work great.

And its free...
smiley1.gif

Taz

I've installed and used the Cortona viewer some time ago. I found it manageable.

There is also the new Acrobat which should be 3D-aware. Anyone tested that one yet ?
smiley9.gif
Must admit I haven't done yet myself but I think it's a good alternative since PDF is very wide spread. More people probably are willing to install a new Acrobat Reader than "foreign" plugins. Could also be easier for the people that are bound to company standards while accessing the Mcad forum. There's Acrobat in about every company I'm in contact with, but asking for something that's not mainstream generally makes you hit the "sysadmin-wall".

Alex

First we mus decide what we exactly want with this?
a) would we have all models uploaded here on McadForum for viewing within browser (some sort of 3D Gallery)
b) would models be zipped and ready for downloading so we can examine them locally on our computers

eDrawings
Well yes only viewer is free, package for exporting from ProE isn't. James yes you can export it within 30 sec, but if there would be more then 200 models then this is almost a 2h work isn't it?
But you can see model tree.

Cortona plug in for IE
This is absolutely free plug in that enables you to view VRML files within IE. ProE can easily export VRML with colors of model, saved views etc (and that can do participates while uploading models for competition).
Although you cannot see model tree.

Acrobat 3D
I have tried, but only for short time (later I didn't have time for playing with it and my trail time has expired), and it seams that it have problems while sending models in PDF. The main problem was that if you put asm into PDF he didn't remember component's positions, components were orient based on origin (the funniest thing that some components were on right place regarding origin, and some weren't). Now I didn't have time so maybe there is some option to fix this out, but regarding this "little" problem it seams like very nice thing to have.
Again no model tree (although maybe there is option to export model tree but I didn't have time to find it out).

I think that will be nice to see model in 3D and to have opportunity to rotate it. Normally model for downloading in zip will be standard. We will later decide will all model will be allowed for downloading on only few of them immediately after competition finish. We must talk about that with Admin, because that can cause some chokes because of huge amount of bandwidth needed for downloading especially in case of 200 or more models.

I will suggest that these days when Admin

tazbaby

I'm not sure that edrawing for proe is free because if you check link James Lynch provided you will see that you have 15 days free trial period for using edrawing. Also when you downloading edrawing you must register and then they send you serial number by email saying that this is 15 days trial version and after that it would become only viewer.
After trial period you can export files but you don't have model tree, and you cant measure, mass properties etc.
Maybe I'm missing something here?

Anyway back to topic, considering that we solve most thing for competition, and that when committee member would vote, they would vote base on 3D models, either viewing in edrawing, PDF or other. Now they would evaluate only 20 models so this isn't any big deal for sizes of models.
But for public voting this could be a issue, considering that this file could be between 1Mb or less to 10Mb and if there would be 200 models, do the math.

So we must also pay attention to which software create lighter files.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back