Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Wildfire 3.0 Release Date -- WHEN??

shell0995

Is there an estimated date when 3.0 will be released (not pre-production). Our company finally re-upped maintenance after 2 years. We are on 2001 currently. Our group is trying to decide a time to switch to Wildfire 2.0 or if we should wait for 3.0...if it will not be much longer.

Thanks!

May 06 is current WF3 release date. Add in program slip, first couple of bug fixes and you are looking at about 10 months to get stable code. Go ahead and start off with WF2, it is pretty stable now. There will not be much of a user interface change with WF3 other than extending the new interface to more parts of the program.

shell0995,

dr_gallup couldn't be more spot on right in his reasoning - we've employed
the same thinking for years - move to WF 2 and put thoughts of WF 3 off until

They have had the preproduction 3.0 out for a while, it is actually surprisingly pretty stable. I had attended a WF 3.0 event at PTC for quality several months ago and they asked me to come back last month, but I was traveling for work. They have fixed almost all of the issues I found in it, and believe it or not quite a few existed in the previous builds (I think 4 or 5).
With WF 2.0 I had found about 12 issues, they opened quite a few SPRs some issues ended up being multiple, and the soloutions aretrickeling in have been fixed in WF 3.0, there were only one or two that the intend on fixing in WF 2.0.
What I have been finding in WF 2.0 is that they fix 15 items and break 18.
If I were still on2001I would consider seeing when the real release date is and do WF 3.0, they are talking about moving WF 3.0 earlier next year.
The big deal is training, and one thing that they are fixing in WF 3.0 is the detail mode which stinks in 2.0! They are fixing the selecting and double click, and the feel I get from PTC is that they want WF 3.0 to be really stable before releasing it, mind you it was almost ready this summer...
The last issue is data management and if your not running Intralink than it is not!

Bummer... And it looks like it's going to have a lot of great time-saving improvements too. I was looking forward to getting itsoon.

PTC sent me an email today announcing IT'S HERE! Pro/ENGINEER Wildfire 3.0. Take Your Productivity to the Next Level!. But they aren't shipping the production release yet and when I click on the link for the top 10 reasons to upgrade to WF3 it is 404.

I think PTC marketing is 404.

does that mean there is no reason to upgrade?
smiley36.gif

a few screen shots

View attachment 1930

View attachment 1931
Edited by: megaladon

Yes there is a version 26, for PP2 WF3, version 27 will be for the
released WF3. You need to re-request your license pack from PTC
and when doing so you can click a check box saying you will use WF3
(you will need to install the FlexLM from WF3) or tell them you are
using WF3 if you call into LM.

actually what the problem is i was copy pasting from my email and it was messing up i guess you cannot do that from html

Yes you need your license to read rev 26 previous to build I think 100.

I just came form a Wildfire 3.0 conference and one thing the host said was Wildfire 3.0 parts can be called up in Wildfire 2.0 the only difference is the features willbe read only prior to Wildfire 2. So basically from what I saw was it's a gloified neutral file that you don't have to create the neutral file.

I asked the host that I tried to openup a WF 3.0pp2native file in WF 2.0 190 and it couldn't call it up, he didn't have an answer tht it was a development question.

I guess his job and weathermen have great job security

I tried using the shaded views in WF 3.0 and it worked fine except when I plotted it on a HP 450C plotter the views that were shaded came out black right out to the view borders, has anyone else notice this problem.

Anyway lots of good info, the only menu that's still a red headed step child is the Edit, Setup menu, it's still in the old format.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back